Cheap motherboard at Maplins

cream. 13:41 17 Jun 04

Just picked up a flyer from Maplins.

It's a socket A board for duron and athlon up to XP3000+. 8X AGP, 6 channel audio, USB2.0, ATA133, DDR 266\333\400, 5 PCI slots and a 6 in 1 card reader. That's what it says on the flyer.

Code A45BQ at click here

£29.99

€dstowe 19:05 17 Jun 04

Always remember - you get what you pay for.

A friend was tempted by one of the to good to be true offers and found out that it was just that. After three replacement boards and a replacement power supply (the last board shorted the PSU to earth and it blew up) he very reluctantly got his money back.

Totally-braindead 19:45 17 Jun 04

Interesting but as €dstowe has pointed out you get what you pay for, would consider trying it for a second system I suppose but considering you can get a well known brand make for just a little bit more say a fiver I wouldn't buy it although the card reader could be useful. Good price though considering you get the card reader as well.

Rayuk 20:45 17 Jun 04

click here
£22 only.

cream. 21:05 17 Jun 04

This was just posted as a cheap board readily available from a , for most, local store.

€dstowe. Yes you get what you pay for, but it does have a few good features for the price.:-)

Rayuk, yes it is £22 but they want £9.75 table rate to ship it. Apparentley best way is the only option. So thats er??? £31.75 and about 3-5 days wait.;-)

ensonricky 23:58 17 Jun 04

If that was really the case the consumer pages on this site would be half empty. Anyone travelled on the underground recently?

€dstowe 06:26 18 Jun 04

Quote: "Yes you get what you pay for, but it does have a few good features for the price.:-)"

But at what price? 3 motherboards and a power supply plus whatever else may have gone wrong if he'd persisted?

Jakey boy 08:45 18 Jun 04

Remember, if your case has front-mounted USB ports, and you attatch the card reader, you will not be able to use the front USBs, since these card readers use the same mobo USB connectors as the USB header. May make a difference to your decision to purchase.

Stuartli 14:54 18 Jun 04

The mobo in question is by Elite, the fourth largest motherboard manufacturer in the world and one of the first to be established - it also makes the lower cost versions of mobos from Asus and, no doubt, other companies.

My Elite P6BXT-A+ mobo is five years old, was the first in the world to feature both a Socket 370 and Slot1 facility and has never missed a beat during that period.

cream. 17:39 18 Jun 04

You don't say which board gave so much trouble. Was it the ECS L7S7A2CR featured at Maplins?

I only brought it to peoples attention as it handy to pick up and cheap. They also take back any product if it is not suitable without question, anyway at my store they do.

€dstowe 19:11 18 Jun 04

The board varied at each exchange. I don't know the details but I do know that each time one was taken back, a different model was offered as a replacement. I could be that they were moving old stock.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…