Cheap medium Gaming desktop

Shuri 20:29 06 Dec 10

Hey there.help would be appreciated. I'm lookin for a desktop or laptop if possible that could play games on high (not shooters lik Far cry) . Rts really lik the upcoming stronghold 3. Im16 so income is not reli very high although I would think my parents could bak me up maybe as christmas is approaching. I hav around 200€ saved up and hav part time job with very small wage so price range would be at max 6-700. If at all possible wed need to last a few years so desktop would be first choice as I can upgrade later. Not reli a comp specs wizard I know slightly more than basics.(e.g know how to repair comp bbut retardted wen it comes to overclocking etc.) happy to provide more info as advice is really needed. Cheap as can be is best choice as recession in Ireland here is a major money drain :( thanks everyone

I am building a gaming computer for my brother for Christmas. I have bought the parts from ebuyer.com and it has cost me 538 pounds (tower only - he already has monitor, keyboard etc). If you feel you are capable of building one yourself then I think it's the best way to do it. Mine has the following spec:

Core i5 760
4GB DDR3 1600MHz
1TB hard drive
Radeon 6850 1GB graphics card.

Should be a very decent computer once built, and I would have enough still for a monitor etc and still be within your budget.

Sorry, forgot to mention, I already have a copy of Windows too. If you are a student (or have one living at home), you could buy a copy from click here.

I also forgot that your budget was in Euros, not Pounds, so my system would probably cost too much if you need a monitor too.

The graphics card is the most important component for games, so try not to cut back there. Also make sure you have a minimum of 4GB of RAM. I found the i5 motherboards to be quite expensive (I paid 72 pounds for mine) so perhaps you could save a bit of money by choosing a slightly cheaper AMD processor and motherboard.

Shuri 19:31 12 Dec 10

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 Tri Core 450 3.20GHz
click here [...] ctId=41578

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H AMD 880G
click here [...] ctId=41304

RAM: Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333
click here [...] ctId=41783

HDD: SAMSUNG F3 500GB SATA II
click here [...] ctId=37759

PSU:OCZ 500W 80+
click here [...] perSpecial

CASE: click here [...] an-w-o-psu

DVD: Samsung SH-S223C 22x
click here [...] ctId=38547

GPU:
click here [...] ctId=42289

^^^^ gud enough rig?

GaT7 20:45 12 Dec 10

The GPU appears to be a Sapphire HD6850 (click here) but I cannot tell which case. Do you have a name or product number?

Also, the chosen motherboard (click here) is a mATX one. Is this your intention? It's just that a mATX board has fewer expansion slots, but you may have chosen a mATX case to go with it.

The rest appears OK. G

Shuri 21:48 12 Dec 10

click here

yea i got a suggestion from another site and it looks gud wonderin if theres an atx version tho.

i hav one more q...so this homebuilt pc obviously wont have wan(net card too exp.) so i was wondering... i have zyxel p 660 hw t1 v3 modem router providng wireless signal in house... i also have belkin n150 router... could i plug belkin into my homebuilt rig and recieve inet from medem lik taht?

thanks

Shuri 21:57 12 Dec 10

sorry that was not the case... i decided on this VCool 9006 ATX Case.. suggestions would be appreciated also if you could explain choice (i kno about microatx support etc) preferably if it wass from aria.co.uk cos thats were all othr parts coming from thx

It might be possible to use your Belkin router to connect your PC to the wireless network, but it wouldn't be straight forward. click here might be of use.

GaT7 12:23 14 Dec 10

Sorry, I couldn't find much good info on the VCool 9006 case, & neither could I find it at Aria.

You're purchasing a mATX motherboard, so a mATX-only case or a ATX case with mATX support will be fine. However, if you go for a mATX-only case now & want to upgrade your motherboard to an ATX in the future, you will need to buy a new case as well.

The Xclio case you linked to at first (or click here) will be fine as it supports both. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5