Cheap Internet access

Severn Bore 09:49 10 Sep 04

Hi
I am looking for a cheap and reliable internet provider! My grandson has started secondary school and needs internet for his homework. I will be paying for it, but as I am retired am looking for the best value package.
Any ideas please?

terryr48 10:04 10 Sep 04

It depends as to how often it is going to be used and if you want B.B or dial up pay per minute soon adds up and it is usually cheaper to go for a monthly all inclusive price (if he is like mine he will soon get fed up of dial-up and want BB as it is norm at school)-NTL do a reasonable package-hope this helps.

c_norris1989 10:21 10 Sep 04

i've been using pay-as-you-go tiscali for ages and freeserve's pay-as-you-go before that, as long as you only use it after 6PM it's 1p per minute. Offpeak, see. Also TESCO do quite a good deal for daytime access ending at about 6PM I think it's unrestricted all day from 2AM to about 6PM for £5.00 per month. Go to tesco, they usually have packs for it next to the tills, although they are 50p.

TomJerry 11:30 10 Sep 04

monthly contract and monthly payment £17.99, VirginNet click here. free startup, equipment special price £9.99. 3GB download limit per month, enough for most users

Prepaid package: 6 month £118, 12 months, £200 E7Even click here, need to pay £50 startup fee and buy equipment separate, No download limit

TomJerry 11:38 10 Sep 04

£10, get upto 2000 minutes click here

vitrocmax 13:04 10 Sep 04

TomJerry, the virgin £17.99 monthly seems to have been suspended.
I've just tried to join up because it's the best price I've seen and I already have a modem, but it will only allow me to sign up for the £24.99 service.

An alternative might be Wanadoo, but they want a 12 month contract, which I don't want to commit to.

TomJerry 15:36 10 Sep 04

I think you need to phone them.

Stuartli 16:26 10 Sep 04

If you use Tiscali's monthly dialup packages (there are choices for daytime or from late evening to 8am, you pay a small fixed monthly charge.

I'm on DayTime Plus which can be used from 8am to 6pm any day of the week - DayTime only covers the same period from Monday to Firday.

It means that I get 70 hours a week (approximatley 240 hours a month) unlimited internet use for £7.99 and the only "drawback" is a two-hour cutoff.

Windows redials automatically in any case and using FreshDownload (click here) means any downloads can be resumed on reconnection.

Defying logic, Tiscali charges £9.99 for its Tiscali 50 service, on which you can access the Internet at any time for up to 50 hours a month, paying a penny a minute after that...:-))

kench 20:27 12 Sep 04

Tesco anytime £12.49p plus started Broadband no download limits £19.98p

Severn Bore 21:14 12 Sep 04

Thanks to all who res[ponded to this thread. I opted for Tescos Anytime, but suspect I shall soon be pressured into Broadband!!!

Severn Bore 21:14 12 Sep 04

Thanks to all who res[ponded to this thread. I opted for Tescos Anytime, but suspect I shall soon be pressured into Broadband!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…