Cheap internal card reader recommendations?

Solgoth 19:53 30 Apr 06

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement internal USB 2 card reader. It has to be black and have at least one other USB 2 port on the front, and it has to have a recessed slot which makes putting a compactflash card into it easy and foolproof (as much as possible). I want something around the £15 mark including postage.

I wouldn't be worried about getting the right thing if it wasn't for the fact that I recently bought a (generic) £15 card reader from a local PC shop and only realised later that the compactflash card has the contact pins right at the front of the slot, with no guiding slot to make sure the card goes in straight. You have to wiggle the card around to get it placed right on the pins. The pins, being so close and so at risk from the movements of the card as you attempt to get it in the right place, are now bent, making it impossible to use the CF slot. After only about a month I now have to replace the thing.

I don't imagine the store would replace this since it's sort of accidental damage even though the reader has a design flaw. This is not the kind of thing that makes me want to trust in 'real life' computer shops..

The box for my reader contains a rare example of honest marketing, which I obviously should have heeded:

"for being used .... wise choice"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…