Cheap digital cameras

porci 22:37 15 Nov 03

Hi everyone
Just want to report that after lots of research and people in the forum helping as well, I found the cheapest dealers with the longest gaurantees around. Pixmania.com which is a French company apparently. But if you wait a few days when their cameras are cheaper, you can be gauranteed Comet will match the price and if you dont want to deal with them, take the print out to Jessops who will pricematch it.

Tim1964 23:59 15 Nov 03

The price matching bit seems a handy tip. That way you can just walk into Comets/Jessops and buy the camera straight away.

Stuartli 08:32 16 Nov 03

I'd only deal with Jessops.....:-)))

Stuartli 08:33 16 Nov 03
  Blitzer 00:07 19 Nov 03

I just purchased a digital camera online (well over the phone actually) from click here and have to say the service was excellent - very pleasant to deal with. Their prices are also much cheaper than those you'll find on the highstreet. :)

anchor 09:44 19 Nov 03

Remember that Jessops will price match any camera web price, providing it is a UK company, and it is in stock.

Kong 09:55 19 Nov 03

Just visited pixmania and compared prices with amazon on e.g. canon A70.
Agree that Pixmania offers 2 year warranty which is a plus point but it charges £9 for delivery, the manual will be in french and you need to untick the "Zen engagement" which is essentially an insurance policy costing 6% of purchase price. After all that, it worked out 99p more expensive on amazon after delivery charges were added.
It is questionable whether one needs 2 year warranty on electronic products.
SO, you take your pick as where you want to get your camera.
Always shop around a number of sites before buying.

Kong 10:03 19 Nov 03

Sorry my mistake, the Canon A70 mentioned above costs £2.01 less on amazon than pixmania.

Stuartli 11:18 19 Nov 03

Speaking from personal experience, avoid the French companies such as Nomatica like the plague.....

If you ignore this advice and your camera is faulty then all I can say is that you were warned.

porci 11:23 19 Nov 03

Kong....dont know where you got 'the manual will be in french' from. In fact, I have a choice of four different manuals one of which is English!!
At the time I chose the Sony DSC-V1, they were the only company that could offer a package with a Pro memory stick and the price was under anybodys for the camera alone, by at least £50!!Dont see the difficulty in unchecking the Zen engagement, its a mouseclick, and if I can get an extra years warranty for free, I will take it.
This was just a FYI for everyone, so hope it helped

Fordy 14:25 21 Nov 03

"Take a printout from Pixmania.com to Jessops who will pricematch it"
Their magazine states 'if you can get a better deal locally within 7 days of purchase we'll refund the difference. The item for sale must be from a retail outlet located within a 20 mile radius of the Jessops store'
Have you , or do you know of anyone, obtained a pricematch from an internet source from them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…