Charity Scam ??????

Noels 15:20 03 Jan 10

Happy New Year to all from Noels and his family.
Over this holiday period we have been visiting our family who are spread out over the country very happy times had by all. However one family member claims that the little plastic bags we get through our door on a weekly basis in the name of various charities is a sort of scam. In that anyoneone can go to any charity and say I will distribute your bags! The charity then says ok give us £???? and you can have so many bags to distribute. The people who asked for the bags give the charity their £?? per bag. They collect the bags, sort the goods and then sell them on Car Boot Sales etc etc. But the contents of the bags don't go to the charity you think you are supporting.
Can anyone confirm or deny this.
My wife and I always support certain charities but were not happy with what we heard over the last few days.
Any comments most welcome.
Noels

wiz-king 15:28 03 Jan 10

If they are from a registered charity there should be a number on the bag and you can look it up click here you just have to be aware that some collectors who say 'for xxxx orphans' are not charities, and sort and sell the good clothes and the rest go for recycling.

Noels 15:39 03 Jan 10

Yes thank you for that. I was aware but I am looking at a bag now (delivered today) that is from a registered charity No ******** and it is one my wife and I would support, but do the clothes collected go to this registered charity or do they go to the collectors who have paid the charity a fee to use their bags as collection points for later use in Car Boot sales etc??
regards
Noels

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:40 03 Jan 10

click here there does appear to be some concern over some of these companies.

G

Chris the Ancient 09:54 04 Jan 10

Personally, I ignore all those charity bags for the reason I'm not sure what will actually happen. I also get them on a fairly regular basis.

Like you, I suspicious of many of them - particularly as the BBC programme "The Real Hustle" demonstrated the problem you express concern over.

I believe that if you have things you would like to go to a particular charity, a phone call to them would provide a double-check; and who knows, maybe an offer of a special pick-up? Or, perhaps, you could take them to the shop personally?

jack 10:24 04 Jan 10

For Garden rubbish mainly.
Really these thing come through the door so regularly - even from 'proper' charities it that is their sole use.
Heart Foundation, Scope,Mid,NSPCC, RSPCA, all do it .
They must think we have bottomless wardrobes.
The thing to look out for if you do put a bag out is to ensure the correct 'written van' does the pick up-
It is. well known that on collection days unwritten vans scoop up stuff before the genuine collector comes by.

Noels 11:51 04 Jan 10

It appears that there may be problems with these bags so thet we will in the future stick with our two local hospice charity shops.
Regards to all
Noels

Cara2 00:38 06 Jan 10

It is good to be aware (not necessarily beware) of the way certain collectors operate.

Increasingly, some collectors are simply profit making, and make a 'donation' to well deserving charities in return for our unwanted items.

This is okay, if the householder is aware that she is aiding a collector to profit with a small percentage going to the charity. That is their choice.

However, I think most householders are not aware that these companies are profit making and would prefer the whole of the proceeds of their unwanted possessions to go to charity rather than just a percentage. You do have to read the small print to realise this.

It makes me very angry!

KremmenUK 07:41 08 Jan 10

Some of the bags when read closely are obviously bogus.

You wouldn't believe the tosh they've taken away for me :lol:

wids001 13:39 08 Jan 10

Is this not something to do with the tax relief charities get for certain payments. If they can sell these bags on a regular basis to a third party then they can claim tax relief. The third party is then free to make whatever profit on selling the contents of these bags. If Charities accept cash they can't claim tax relief. I think this is why most charities now advertise for monthly donations paid by direct debit.

Sheepish 17:57 08 Jan 10

wids001
If you're referin to Gift aid then it's not that charities can't reclaim tax from cash gifts it's that in order to make the claim they have to have an audit trail to show the money they're claiming for was donated by a person who had signed a gift aid declaration for them. This is easily automated for direct debits but not impossible for cash. IN fact I have seen signs in charity shops suggesting you can even gift aid the money the shop makes from the sale of your donated goods. (I guess this works as technically you sell this for me and I will then give you the money made.)

I'm not sure what tax relief you're thinking of when you talk about selling bags.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…