changing ISP & B'band providers

jarani 15:52 03 May 06

We can change and save a few pounds - I have never changed since I started using the web in the past 8-9 years (?) so I wonder what the implications are of changing - do we need to change the email address ? anything else ?

never had a problem with freeserve/wanadoo in all that time, never needed to use their call service centre, always worked like a dream - since freeserve became free)

Jackcoms 16:21 03 May 06

"never needed to use their call service centre, always worked like a dream"

So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Stuartli 16:29 03 May 06

It never really became free as you still paid for your time online.

The main difference was that you didn't have to pay approximately £15 a month subscription PLUS the cost of being online.

Eventually this was changed yet again to so many hours online for a fixed monthly sum, either AnyTime or between various time slots such as 8am to 6pm or 6pm to 8am.

jarani 17:11 03 May 06

Stuartli - you are right ofcourse but they were the first to omit the fee - those were the days - but that was just a passing comment not a question - jarani

jarani 17:15 03 May 06

Jackcoms - wise words indeed but free is free and that is what I am considering at some stage and I need to know the down side - jarani

Charence 20:56 03 May 06

If you're using the E-mail address provided by your ISP then you may have to change your E-mail address if you cancel your account. If your changing to broadband then you'll need some new hardware such as filters for your phones and a broadband modem.

Here's a broadband ISP I recommend and use if you plan on changing ISP: click here

jarani 21:39 03 May 06

charence - thank you for the response - usefull notes - jarani

Stuartli 10:59 04 May 06

Any one looking to change their ISP to gain faster BB speeds or other reason should check out the small print first.

For instance, I've been looking at newspaper ads today for Bulldog's DoubleSpeed broadband at up to 16MB.

Sounds great at prices "from £9.75", but reading the small print reveals that this is for ordering Anytime Plus over the next few days; the £9.75 BB price is only for the first month when it goes up to £14.75 a month and includes just 1GB a month usage, a Bulldog phone line is required at £10.50 a month and it could also include a £30 (half price) new line connection charge.

Call charges, 12 month minimum contract, 30 day notice period and Ts and Cs also apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…