Change to gas installer accreditation

TopCat® 09:19 17 Mar 09

From the 1st of April the Corgi trademark, which identifies engineers qualified to work safely with gas, is being abolished and replaced with a Gas Safe Register. TC.

click here

jack 09:44 17 Mar 09

Many trade associations have been compromized over the years by unqualified or ill qualifiued [ done the exam but still does dot know a spanner from a screwdriver]individuals putting the lables on their vans and letterheads when perhaps they should not.
These trade bodies seem to have somewhat blunt teeth when it comes to controlling a trade.
So they have a re think and issue a new name - but the workers are the same.
Many good and some bad.

Chas49 11:11 17 Mar 09

How true Jack

Stuartli 12:07 17 Mar 09

There's one local "Corgi registered" gas fitter in my area who I wouldn't let within a mile of any of my gas appliances....

Forum Editor 20:05 17 Mar 09

The problem is, in London at any rate, that if you carry out any new building work the gas fitting must be done by a CORGI installer. The local authority building inspector will want a certificate as evidence.

Stuartli 20:49 17 Mar 09

But not the one I've mentioned..:-)

I was meaning, of course, that his standard of workmanship (or lack of it) has brought some unhappy moments to a number of residents in my area.

Yet he still continues in business.

The new Gas Safe Register will apply throughout the UK.

We had a new central heating system and combi boiler installed just before Christmas and there were several independent safety checks on the quality of the work - quite reassuring.

As a result of the checks, one of our gas heaters (flueless, and now not allowed) was specifically disconnected and removed so it could not be used again.

Spark6 23:36 17 Mar 09

This accreditation will not remove one of the previous regulation's weaknesses. A great number of plumbers, electricians and gas fitters were not prepared, or unable, to pay for the necessary license. This meant that they would install the system and then, for a relatively small fee, get an accredited installer to 'sign the job off'.

Naturally, this fee would be included in the charge for the job, but, and this is a big but, the checks done by the accredited installer were not always as detailed as they should have been.

Having said this, I believe that most gas installations are now safer than they have ever been but the electrics leave a lot to be desird.

Spark6 23:37 17 Mar 09

'desired'- getting late!

laurie53 08:12 18 Mar 09

Many thanks for the link.

You may just have saved somebody's life.

Now if there could just be a regional list on line so that we could check for ourselves.............

Graham. 00:02 14 Apr 09
  laurie53 07:45 14 Apr 09

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…