CF Cards for storage

SonnyB 16:24 15 Feb 04

Does anyone know why cf cards ae not used for general data storgae in the same way as a floppy or cd?
They are quite cheap (£17 for 64mb), re-usable, very small and can hold large amounts of data, so why have they not used in this way by pc makers, except for photo storage.
I only ask because I regularly use them in the way that I have described for tranferring dat between Psion PDA's.

Stuartli 08:28 16 Feb 04

You may be surprised just how often such cards are used in this way.

For instance, a business friend adopted my suggestion about two years ago that he does his daily backup this way using a 128MB CF card.

He acquired one of the internal card readers which is exactly the same size as a floppy drive and sits in the spare bay underneath; the CF card has its own adapter and just slots into the card reader whilst the backup is done.

Another way, of course, is to buy one of the 6 or 7-in-1 card read/write readers; this enables both card and card reader to be transported easily for use elsewhere.

Indigo 1 08:52 16 Feb 04

I know some people who use their digicams as portable storage too !

Stuartli 09:21 16 Feb 04

You can use any of the memory cards for the purpose - I use my digital camera's Secure Digital/MultiMedia cards for the purpose on occasions in conjunction with a 7 in 1 card reader.

Just make sure you don't switch your system off with the card still in.....wait until it has shut down before removing it.

The same applies to camera pix - always delete them whilst the card is in the camera and not your system, otherwise a reformat is necessary.

ericmax 09:43 16 Feb 04

Sony will soon be bringing us a new Minidisc format
which can be used to store data from your PC.
I could be wrong on this but I think the discs will
cost about four pounds each,they are rewriteable robust(I think)and will hold one gig.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…