CDRW VS FLASH DRIVE

HANAH 11:23 13 Dec 04

Okay, I'll admit I'm not very technical and I really need advice. I have pretty old computer and I need to transfer some really big files on to my new computer. To do this, I'm considering buying an external CDRW to save the files on disc and transfer to my new computer but have also read about flash drives to use and transfer the data.
Which should I choose and are there any other alternatives?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:57 13 Dec 04

Flash drives are more useful and they have capacity of up to 4Gb. Much better than a CDRW.

G

HANAH 12:02 13 Dec 04

Which would be cheaper?
And where could I buy a flash drive with this much memory (4Gb)?

wee eddie 12:08 13 Dec 04

You will be able to carry on using the flash drive in the future.

Your new PC will, almost certainly, have a CD/R drive your purchase will be a "one use only".

Why not consider buying an External HDD, this could form part of your Back-up system in the future.

HANAH 12:14 13 Dec 04

Erm, what's an external hdd?!!!!

TomJerry 12:35 13 Dec 04

how old is your old PC?

If your old PC has win95 ors2 or better and with usb port. The best way to do file transfer is to use a usb file transfer cable

usb 1 version: £5.28 click here

usb 2 version: £8.22 click here

HANAH 09:31 16 Dec 04

Well, my pc runs on windows '98 2nd ed. It's about 4yrs old.

HANAH 09:32 16 Dec 04

So using this USB link thing, would all my files get transfrred on to my new PC without any hitches? Anyone had any experience of using 1?

TomJerry 09:58 16 Dec 04

all your data files can be transfer without any problems. I (many others) used it.

however, you cannot transfer operation systems, i.e. win98 installation cannot be transfered.

TomJerry 11:35 16 Dec 04

Acronis MigrateEasy 6.0 click here

wee eddie 11:37 16 Dec 04

Unless you downloaded them and still have the original file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…