CDRW or DVDRW

HANAH 10:33 13 Apr 05

Hi. I'm considering buying a new PC. Just stuck on a coupla things regarding what to buy: a CDRW or DVDRW. What's the difference anyway? I'll need a CDRW to burn data on to CDS but I'm considering getting DVDRW just in case I need to burn DVDs in the future (No current plans).

So, if possible please could someone respond and tell me what's the difference between a DVDRW and a CDRW? And, advice on what to go for!

PsiFox 10:48 13 Apr 05

CDRW will write only CD's with about 700Mb storage.

DVDRW Will write DVD's with 4.7 Gb storage single layer but upto 9.4 GB on newer Dual Layer.

Additionally many DVDRW will also write to CD.

Price differential is now minimal, so go for the DVDRW(confirm it will do CD)it is more futureproof.

HANAH 11:06 13 Apr 05

Thanks for the response. Please could you also explain what is the difference between dual layer and mono layer? I've been told by retailers just to go for a normal DVDRW but I really want something that is futureproof.

And will DVDRW work on CDs?

PsiFox 11:17 13 Apr 05

Dual layer is just a technique for doubling the amount of data a dvd can store

And will DVDRW work on CDs? Not sure what you are asking here

HANAH 11:31 13 Apr 05

And will DVDRW work on CDs? Not sure what you are asking here

I mean, will I be able to use the DVDRW to burn CDs as well/good as a CDRW?

pj123 11:47 13 Apr 05

Yes, a DVDRW will play and burn both CDs and DVDs.

click here

PsiFox 12:11 13 Apr 05

I mean, will I be able to use the DVDRW to burn CDs as well/good as a CDRW

Simply yes :)

HANAH 13:06 13 Apr 05

Thanks for your clear responses. You've just clarified alot of confusion.

Stuartli 17:18 13 Apr 05

Don't use CD-RWs if possible - CD-Rs, used in multisession form if necessary, are far superior as they have a vastly superior reflectivity level in comparison.

A top brand 16x Dual Layer DVD rewriter is now priced between £35 and £40; however, use a CD or DVD-ROM drive to install software, play Audio CDs etc if you have one as a rewriter's lifespan is generally very much shorter, so should be used purely for burning purposes.

HANAH 09:18 14 Apr 05

Thanks for the advice Stuartli. What's the average lifespan of a DVDRW anyway?

Stuartli 13:43 14 Apr 05

If you look on a manufacturer's website (such as Plextor), the specifications of the various models will/should include what is known as the MTBF - by comparing this with other drives such as CD-ROMs you will get an idea of the potential lifespan.

An example:

click here

In contrast its CD/DVD-ROM drive, the PX-54TA, has a figure more than 50 per cent higher.

An explanation of MTBF can be found at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…