Cd writer replacement

Heckmotor 11:32 04 Apr 05

Our desktop machine has separate DVD and CD drives, and the Asus 48x/24x/52x CD-RW drive seems to have given up. For months we've had to read CDs with the DVD drive, and writing CDs has gone from unreliable to impossible (We've bought and used a cleaning disk to no effect).

Questions: 1. Is replacement of the drive a job that I can do? 2. Will the machine recognise and run the new unit (we have Nero5, from an Asus logoed disk)? 3. Can you recommend a 'good-as-it-gets' current replacement?

ste_bla 12:00 04 Apr 05

How to do it;

1) Turn off PC, Open Case

2) Unscrew CD-Rw, Take note of the two wires that go into the CD-Rw & Pull them out

3) Pull out the now disconnected CD-Rw

4) Get new one out and just do opposite

5) If you got WinXP it will auto detect changed drive. if 98 then run install new hardware and it will then auto find it

Heckmotor 12:08 04 Apr 05

Thanks, ste_bla - That's the sort of answer I like ...I think even I'll be able to manage that!

Re. a replacement, anything I should know to get a good deal on a 'every option' unit?

CD rewriters are now very cheap, and most will perform without problems.You might consider replacing your rewriter with a DVD rewriter,which of course will also write CD's.

ste_bla 12:11 04 Apr 05

How much you willing to pay and where do you normally buy?

LastChip 12:11 04 Apr 05

1. All you have to do, is remove the computer cover, four screws and two cables. When it comes to the crunch, post back if necessary for more detailed help.

2. The machine will recognise the drive, but your software will probably be "tied" to the drive it came with. So you may end up having to buy new burning software. Nero's full version, is as good as any.

3. The NEC ND3520A will take you to the leading edge of technology. I have to declare an interest; I've just bought one and it is amazing! It will burn just about anything you want to do (including dual layer DVD's) and has patented technology to avoid pretty much all the problems associated with burning "coasters" (duff discs). click here for a possible source of supply.

ste_bla 12:15 04 Apr 05

For a CD-Rw £15 click here

Or LastChip surgestion is good i have the prev model (before this came out) and i love it!

Heckmotor 12:22 04 Apr 05

Many thanks all! Thirty nine quid for LastChip's NEC product looks good to me'll be on order in the next five!

I really do think this forum is the business, especially for those of us who work from home, or who've down-shifted, and don't have friendly techies looking over their shoulders in a big office any more. Ten out of ten!

Heckmotor 16:53 29 Nov 05

Bought an NEC ND3520A CD/DVD reader/writer some while ago, as advised in this old thread, but have only just got round to fitting it - sides off, old CD drive out, new in and connect as before with the IDE interface strip and power connectors.

Result: the new drive and an original DVD drive that was working fine seem not to be recognised at all. Lights flash on both when booting up, but putting a CD or DVD into either leads to no response, and 'my computer' indicates just the A and C drives present.

What do you think, experts? Is it me being stupid? Is there anything I might try?

LastChip 18:16 29 Nov 05

Are they on the same data cable?

If so, have you set one as Master and the other as slave? If they are on different data cables (on their own), are they both set as Master?

If that's not an issue, temporarily disconnect the power connector and data connector from the NEC drive and see if your old DVD drive is OK.

Did you delete the old drive that you removed from Device Manager, before installing the NEC drive in its place?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…