Is CD ripping still illegal in the UK ?

setecio 08:30 30 Jul 08

2 years ago articles appeared about changing the law concerning this issue. Has it still not been changed. Is it still illegal in this country to rip CDs to MP3 format ?

click here

interzone55 09:20 30 Jul 08

As far as I'm aware the law hasn't been changed. There is no "fair usage" exemption in the UK.

But, in the same way as nobody has every been arrested for taping off the radio, I don't think there is any problem ripping a CD for transfer to your MP3 player of choice, in the same way as nobody will try to stop you making a compilation CD for the car.

I've been making compilation tapes & CDs for years for a couple of friends, and many of the bands featured should be grateful, because both friends have often bought LPs after hearing songs on the compilations.

I don't think some record companies have done themselves any favours by assuming that all their customers are criminals by applying copy protection to CDs which did bad things to peoples' PCs and refused to play on many in-car CD players.

al7478 18:56 30 Jul 08

hear hear!

gazzaho 01:17 31 Jul 08

I agree alan14, I rip CD's for use on my ipod and I don't consider it illegal, after all I bought the CD's in the first place. The only reason I would consider listening to an album without owning it would be to assess whether I liked it or not as I've bought some terrible albums in the past based on one song, but to be honest that doesn't really hold much water either now as itunes and I'm sure other music sites give you a preview of tracks to do just that. I myself prefer to have a "hard copy" of any music I own rather than have it stored solely on digital media, plus you also get the little book with pictures and lyrics LOL.

The music industry want us to play fair, but how fair is DRM, you pay for music and the DRM software limits you to how many machines you can use it on, or ties you to using it with a certain piece of software or music site, the latter of which may or may not go belly up at a future date taking your music collection with it as you can no longer validate your rights to listen to it even though you've already paid for it. In my opinion that is, or should be illegal.

setecio 09:06 31 Jul 08

An Abba song comes to mind .... it's all about ...
'Money, Money, Money'

2 years on and they haven't changed the law, they must be waiting in hope that some new development will allow them to use this law to make another fortune, and are scared of those losses if they were to change it. Daft !

wee eddie 21:12 31 Jul 08

what really pisses off the Music Business is those that Rip several copies and sell them.

I don't blame them

wids001 11:07 01 Aug 08

There are a number of really obscure albums from the early 1960's that I would love to get, but they have been long deleted by the record companies and sold so few when originally released the chances of finding a copy are practically non-existant. The master tapes are still held in the vaults at Universal, but will not be re-released.

So, what are my options. Find someone who has them and copy them for me? But then the artists etc would get no royalties - unfair ... So how about the record companies putting their entire vaults onto digital downloads at a knock down price? I'm happy & the artists/writers get something back as well. Plus I'm not forced to do something illegal!

BTW anyone have a copy of the gospel album "They Shall Be Mine" by Rev. Columbus Mann!

al7478 15:14 01 Aug 08

Well, you have to make your own moral call there, but hey, they wouldnt get a royalty anyway as the albums have been deleted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…