A Cautionry tale!

Flak999 14:12 22 Oct 03

Decided that it would be a good idea to buy some more ram for my Evesham xp1900+ the other day, its already got 512mb and i decided to splash out and put another 512mb in to bring it up to 1gb.

Went to the crucial site downloaded their belarc advisor to make sure i got the right memory and ordered 1 512 dimm of ddr sdram pc2100 spec memory, true to there word it arrived the following day and i installed it in my one spare memory slot.

Hurrah i thought as the machine rebooted the bios detected the new chip and reported 1gb of memory, windows xp home loaded to the desktop and i checked in control panel and windows too was accuratly reporting my new ram.

Then disaster! the machine locked up and rebooted it stopped just after the post test and informed me i had a corrupted registry!! i tried safe mode and recovery console nothing worked!

In desperation i phoned Evesham tech support,expecting to be told sorry it was not our memory that caused the problem, on the contrary i cannot praise them highly enough, one of their support advsors talked me through several procedures to try and get my machine back, nothing worked so i had to do a full install of windows,they were extremely helpfull and i have now got my machine working again, minus the new ram! which caused the problem.

It just goes to show what excellent customer service should be!

Well done Evesham! you have got a very satisfied customer who will definatly recommend you to everyone i know, and i will certainly buy my next machine from you!

Contact Crucial who offer a money back guarantee if the memory is incompatible.

Kilobyte 15:57 22 Oct 03

It's possible that the memory module is faulty. Crucial will refund or replace without quibble.

Stuartli 17:25 22 Oct 03

Crucial is noted for its superb after sales service - I've never known it to be criticised yet.

My daughter once bought some additional RAM for a Sony laptop but it was installed for at least nine months as she was abroad.

It failed to work, locking up the laptop, so I contacted Crucial. After being surprised by the fact it didn't work as the company is very careful about supplying the right product, the call centre lassie made a full specification check and then acknowledged it was the wrong RAM.

After requesting the original RAM be returned the correct replacement was on my doorstep 48 hours later.

Apart from Crucial's willingness to put right its mistake, the fact that the RAM had been purchased such a long time previously didn't affect its decision to provide a replacement.

Stuartli 17:25 22 Oct 03

Should be "wasn't installed..."

Flak999 17:45 22 Oct 03

please dont think I'm having a go at crucial...im not, I have been in touch with them already and they are giving me a full refund, excellent service there also!

I am just pointing out that what seemed like an easy no problem upgrade using top spec components turned out to be a nightmare! fortunatly i did have a recent backup so i didnt loose anything important, but the sheer hassle factor of having to do a format and full reinstall I could have done without!

Still..everything does have its upside, after the reinstall the machine does seem to be running quite a bit faster!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…