Caution-Purchasing Display Items.

spuds 19:33 21 May 03

Thought this maybe of interest.Recently I purchased from a well known retail superstores, a 'brand new' 17" monitor. The store at that time could only supply me with a display model.About 10% was given as a discount, because the model as stated was from the display shelf, plus the instruction book and warranty card had been lost.Thinking nothing of the lost items, I telephoned the monitor manufacturers, so that I could obtain a replacement instruction book and register the monitor for future warranty claims.I have received the instruction book, which required that I pay £4.75 for this replacement.

Now comes the sticky part. I have been informed today, that the manufacturer will not honour the 2/3 year warranty, as the monitor had been 'used'for display purposes, so voiding the warranty.If I require any future warranty work,then I must obtain this from the supplier.Looks like I will have to take further advice on this matter.But I would suggest that if you intend to purchase something on display, then think twice about the outcome.

Forum Editor 20:19 21 May 03

a display item should never be sold as 'new' because it isn't - it may have been demonstrated to dozens (or even hundreds) of potential purchasers, many of whom will have twiddled the knobs and explored the settings.

It's tempting sometimes to take the display model, especially when it's offered at a discount, or is the only one in stock, but beware - you're effectively buying a used item.

Having said that, the retailer's obligations to you under the sale of goods act are exactly the same as they would be for a new item. I also see no reason why the manufacturer should want to escape entirely from its warranty. You should be able to negotiate a reduced term with a fair-minded company - after all, they know that you're the first 'real' owner don't they?

If you are refused point-blank I would award the company my Forum Editor's "mean-minded maker mark". Why not go back to them and tell them that?

spuds 19:49 22 May 03

Thanks FE for the offer, but I do not think that is required, at least not for now. I visited the well known retail superstore today, and explained the situation.Result of that conversation, was a "No problem sir, we can solve that". So a big thank you to Staples [once again]for their response in giving me written confirmation that they will cover the warranty period, that the monitor manufacturer would not.

Pity Medion Electronics didn't render their warranty valid, with the same frame of mind.But I must say, that the flatscreen monitor is a lovely piece of kit.

I have on previous occassions praised Staples for their customer friendliness, and I will keep on doing so, whilst they offer me good service, as they always do.

spuds 21:35 06 Jun 03

It would now seem that I have one Medion monitor and two warranties.

Staples contacted Medion-Medion contacted me-Staples contacted me-Medion contacted Staples. Confusing isn't it.

Well the final outcome of the purchasing of a display model, which was on display with a 2 year warranty.Medion have now stated, that their warranty on this model is for RTB one year only,and they have now agreed to honour this.Staples have informed me that the monitor had a two year warranty, and was sold as such.So Staples have now stated, that Medion with cover the warranty for the first year, and they [Staples] will cover the warranty for the second year. Either case, if the monitor as a problem, Staples have informed me, that the monitor should be returned to their store.

So on this occassion, I will give a customer care merit award of:Medion 5 out of 10- Staples 5 out of 10.

wee eddie 22:10 06 Jun 03

It is, I believe, an accepted hypotheses that by far the most computer faults happen in the first couple of months of operation.

The display model, should therefor have passed this period. As a display model it will have been chosen to exhibit the best features of the product available.

If the shop, as they are required to offer a guarantee of suitability of purpose, are prepared to offer that guarantee for a similar period as an unused model. Then you may end up with fewer problems brand new purchaser.

If, of course, the guarantee they offer is grossly inferior to the standard, you have a difficult decision to make.

spuds 20:49 07 Jun 03

No problems. Staples have now informed me, that if I wish to have a refund or replacement [another model] then they are willing to do this.

I think that I will stick with this particular model. Just Fantastic performance. Pity though, that Medion registered the monitor, then at a later date, told me that they were refusing to honour the warranty.They lost some brownie points for that little misdemenour.I could have sent away for a CTX, [which I also use, and have always recommended]which would have been supplied with a 3 year swop-out warranty.I have used a number of monitors over a long period, and all have lasted more than 5 years.

The point of this posting, was not to complain about Staples or Medion, but to inform others of what may happen, if you go along the 'purchase a display model' route. Too much hassle for a few pence saved.

wee eddie 02:34 08 Jun 03

I am currently working on a display model that was 1/3rd off. A scratch on the case as well having been on display for nearly two months.

They, Curry's, were prepared to offer me the full, 1 year, guarantee. Which was their responsibility anyway, but I got confirmation.

Had they offered a restricted warranty I would have considered the deal seriously, before signing up.

Stuartli 13:04 08 Jun 03

Staples, in my experience, has always proved an honest, straightforward and clear thinking outlet - I'm not surprised that you received the responses from them that you did regarding your monitor.

The only question in this case and which applies in all such cases (apart from the fact that you should have initially been given a proper warranty) is just how much discount a retailer is prepared to offer or conduct negotiations?

I once had an example of this - albeit slightly differently - when I ordered two new 17in iiyama monitors from dabs.com in 1999.

One, which I am using now, was perfect; the second, which I bought for my son as a thank you for his involvement with mine and various friends' computer systems, was clearly a returned item. It still had the address of the Cotswolds computer outlet that had returned it - various items such as leads had had the packaging opened.

Disgusted, I immediately contacted iiyama direct by telephone to ensure that they were aware of the fact that a returned iiyama product had been resold as new.

I was instantly assured that iiyama would despatch a new monitor for next day delivery and collect the original, along with profuse apologies for what had happened, even though iiyama was not responsible in any way.

The new monitor duly arrived next day with the additional benefit of being two months younger than the one returned. It has operated faultlessly ever since.

Service such as this, even when a company is not to blame for what has happened, deserves fulsome praise.

But forum members will be well aware that iiyama, like others such as Crucial, has long been a model for far too many others to emulate.

spuds 14:01 08 Jun 03

The point that I was raising, was that Medion registered the monitor, on initial contact, under their support and warranty. But when I pressed them for their terms and conditions,and why a promised instruction book [which I had to purchase] was delayed for more than a week, they then informed me [a few days later] that they would not guarantee or support the monitor. Medion have always had good reports via this forum, and I am very pleased with my purchase, otherwise I would have not purchased it.The Forum Editor's "mean-minded makers mark" was well deserved in this case.Staples have always stated that they would provide the guarantee for two years.Due to a lost warranty card, I am still trying to find out, the exact terms and conditions, both companies are providing. Staples have stated: "If the monitor goe's wrong, just bring it in and we will deal with it".Knowing how Staples have dealt with me in the past, I should imagine, that they will say: "Select another one, off the shelf". But of course, this will only been known on the day, should any problems come to light.It is always on the day of return, that problems with statements seem to appear.

I suppose the main problem was due to the previous monitor dying suddenly, and a replacement was needed within a couple of hours. Otherwise I may have purchased via CTX direct or Dabs perhaps.

With reference to the discount. This was not important at the time, I only wanted a monitor, and this and three more display models, was all the store had at that time.About £8.00 was given in a 'Store Display Discount', which as been swallowed up by trying to solve this simple matter. My advice still stands, and I would suggest that anyone purchasing 'non-packaged' goods, should think twice before they purchase.I know in my case, that I will not go through this 'quick purchase-display model' route again.It just ain't worth it (;o)

Stuartli 09:28 09 Jun 03

You are right that Medion is normally regarded favourably - the only defence (not that I need to in this case) I could offer for them is that they regarded the monitor as being "secondhand" rather than the sale of a new, unused item.

But to buck my own theory, if you buy a new car, a laptop or anything with a similar warranty, its cover is normally passed on to the next owner and is active until it expires.

The discount, with due respect, should have been important to you. You should not pay full price for an item which has been on display and whose level of use is unknown to you.

May I respectfully suggest that you stick with Staples if, in the event of any problems, the monitor goes wrong and let them deal with Medion if necessary; Medion tends to be a rebadger of other manufacturers' products and, in any case, the retailer is usually responsible for after sales service.

Akuma 05:43 10 Jun 03

I have been shooping for computer items in staples for years purley becuase I know they have excellent customer service in place.

In my experinece, they are always happy to help and when my HP OfficeJet d145 MFD broke down they replaced it on the spot with a brand new one.

apart from that they have a 14 day return policy where you can reutrn PC goods with no quibble money back. I bought some Belking wireless network adaptors and when they did not work in my house (don't know whay), Staples gave me my money back straight away and were very happy to do so.

I bet most high-street strores, let alone PC stores, can learn a lot from Staples!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…