Carrera - No Compensation Policy

jacksony 13:06 17 Jun 04

I recently bought a desktop PC with Windows XP Home pre-installed from Carrera, in the UK. Unfortunately, when the PC arrived Windows wouldn't load and it just froze on the startup screen.

I called Carrera's helpline, and tried various things, but I couldn't get the PC to work. Helpline advised me to ask for some recovery disks to be sent out, which I have now done.

My problem is that the disks will probably take 2 or 3 days to arrive, and then it is the weekend so the helpline will be closed. So the PC will not be working until some time next week (assuming the repair disks do actually solve the problem) and I really needed to have the computer up and running pretty soon after it was delivered.

I sent an email to Carrera asking if there was anything they could send me as way of compensation for this delay, like some software or a £20 DVD ROM drive.

The reply they sent back said "I am sorry that you will have a slight delay in resolving your problem. We do not operate a compensation policy."

I know it will probably mean having to wait only one week or so, but it's just such a pain having to wait when basically it is their fault for sending me a PC which doesnt work. Am I being unreasonable to expect some sort of token of compensation, and does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do?

garrema 13:31 17 Jun 04

Jacksony;
I don't know how long you have had the PC but if less than 7 days you could invoke consumer protections - distance selling regs - and inform the company you reject the goods and send it back. However then you have no pc. If over this period then you have to give them opportunity to fix the problem which may be possible with the recovery disks. Alternatively they may ask for you to return to base to sortout.

jacksony 13:48 17 Jun 04

Yes, thanks for that garrema.

I checked the consumer protection distance selling regulations here:

click here

and apparaently I have a 7 working days "cooloing-off" period, during which I can reject the goods. At the moment, I am considering wheher to do this and order another PC from a different comapny.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:50 17 Jun 04

If you were that desperate for a computer to do work on you should have bought from PCW or arranged cover in case of delays. I can se Carrera's point in not offering 'compensation'......how were you finacially compromised? You will have a new computer shortly...enjoy.

G

jacksony 13:52 17 Jun 04

Perhaps I should inform Carrera's sales department that I am considering rejecting the goods, it might "persuade" them to offer me something for all the hassle I have been caused(on the other hand they might not give two hoots)

:)

jacksony 13:56 17 Jun 04

You are right Gandalf, I have not been finacially compromised in any way. It is just frustrating having to wait 2 weeks for a PC to be delivered, only for it not to work. PCW would have been quicker, but they charge more.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:36 17 Jun 04

'Hassle' is not compensatable. I think a bit of realism is required here and oodles of common sense. Having no food is a 'hassle', having no computer is lack of a luxury; AFAIK man can survive without something to download music and write letters on. The compensation culture is well entrenched here. Just enjoy the fact that you can afford a new computer and you will be able to make use of it.

G

wee eddie 17:50 17 Jun 04

Do not threaten to reject the goods.

Either do or don't. Find out exactly how the regulations require you to handle it, then follow that route.

Carrera's offer is sensible. The PC will probably have worked on the Test bench and something will have happened meantime.

Give them a chance, they have many happy customers.

ened 17:54 17 Jun 04

I would have thought, if it is Carrera's mistake or a problem with their product, that they would want to offer something in the interests of customer satisfaction.

jacksony 18:02 17 Jun 04

Just to update the story, I wrote another email to the customer services department of Carrera, saying I was thinking of rejecting the goods, although I was reluctant to do so.

They wrote back offering me MS Worksuite 2004 software. So to anyone who gets a faulty machine delivered, I would say don't be afraid to ask for something in return, because the worst they can say is "no".

Enjoy! :)

jacksony 19:57 17 Jun 04

>You will have a new computer shortly...enjoy.

Yes, thank you for your permission, I will try to.

>'Hassle' is not compensatable.

Uh, I think it is.

>I think a bit of realism is required here and oodles of common sense. Having no food is a 'hassle', having no computer is lack of a luxury; AFAIK man can survive without something to download music and write letters on.

How do you know what I need a comp for? Some people use computers for work.

>Just enjoy the fact that you can afford a new computer and you will be able to make use of it.

Yes, again thanks for your permission to enjoy what I am spending my hard-earned money on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…