Carrera nightmare

regularblue 08:52 18 Feb 03

Since PCA has deleted my previous message a more polite version.

Received my Carrera PC Sat 21st Dec. no recovery disc or any instructions. Started PC but keeps on blue screening says hardware software conflict. After numerous attempts to call, always engaged, sent email to sales, tech phoned me 23rd Dec say use recovery disk, new disk in post they say tonight, received 3 disks 2 weeks later after several e mails and further phone calls. All discs failed to rectify problem.
Therefore asked carrera to collect and repair. Pc returned two weeks later no warning just turned up and delivered to neighbour. Start machine, Unable to activate Windows 'product key is unauthorised' phoned Microsoft, say software is 'blocked' contact your vender. Phone Carrera New XP code issued next day but still Unable to play DVDs, or burn CDs, compatible DVD decoder not installed. Nero software or Win DVD was on originally not on now. Copies in post they say receive further week later.

In all, it has taken 8 weeks, 24 emails, numerous telephone calls waiting, from receipt of computer to rectify all faults.

I leave it to you to judge whether you should buy a PC from Carrera. Presumably there are satisfied customers out there. My personal opinion is that reliability is more important than ultimate value for money and the PC magazines that carry out the reviews should consider doing so anonymously if they want to really make a proper judgement. I don't suppose PCAdvisor install all the drivers on their Carrera PCs themselves! Or do they!

ChrisP 13:17 18 Feb 03

You have been more than patient and your comments are very mild in view of your time and money wasted on this.

While all companies have some complaints and it would be wrong to make purchasing decisions on the basis of one or two poor reports here, the number of posts about Carrera, taken together with Carrera's lack of response, seems to go beyond the usual. I would simply urge anyone now seeking a new computer to be very cautious about dealing with this company.

Carrera is still listed in PCAdvisor as having a thread on Consumerwatch. I would like this reviewed and their name taken off because of their lack of response. It is misleading to potential purchasers who may think that companies listed in the magazine as having threads are in some way 'more reliable'.

powerless 13:21 18 Feb 03

Nice and intersting point...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…