//some 3rd party need geo

Carrera computers

ame 00:59 09 Aug 05

I bought a Carrera Octan 650MHz about 5 years ago and it's been ultra-reliable, but they've been through the wars since then. I badly need to upgrade to the modern world, but wonder if CarreraSSC still provides a good service. Any experience?

spuds 10:37 09 Aug 05

As you say, Carrera have been through the wars [two insolvencies and three management teams] since you purchased the computer five years ago. They are now owned by the Watford Electronics Group.

Personally I would not consider a upgrade on a computer five years old, unless it it something very minor, as it would not be cost effective. New computers are available at some very realistic prices nowadays, and all will come with at least a twelve month warranty. Trying to fit old with new as in upgrade, doesn't always work, and I have found this out in trying to upgrade three computers over the past two/three years [money down the drain].

This past weekend I purchased a brand new [built to order] 2000+ 160Gb,518Mb,CDRW,Graphics card computer base unit for £167.32, which includes delivery for Friday and a three year RTB warranty.Try to better that price with a major upgrade in mind.

ame 18:48 09 Aug 05

Sorry spuds - when I said upgrade I meant bin this one and buy another! Built to special order seems more expensive then buying an award winner "off the shelf" with similar spec., so to speak, even if you're not needing all the components. Any experience of Carrera SSC after the Watford takeover? Maybe they'll be more stable than Windows 98SE now!

spuds 10:53 10 Aug 05

ame- the only experience that I have about Watford Electronics is a couple of small purchases which seemed to turn out okay, nothing like a complete computer system. The new Carrera is run as an independent company, and I cannot recall seeing many comments about them, since their new formation. Perhaps people are a little unsure, owing to possible past experiences.

The selection out there is vast and wide, with prices to match, so in all it is a buyers market if you know what you want. Good luck on your future selection. If you are unsure, there is always this forum to seek further advice.

tunny 11:58 11 Aug 05

hi spuds, where did you get that base at that price and what was the full speck, if you care to share the info.

Joe R 19:37 11 Aug 05

tunny,

you'll find a few here.

click here

spuds 00:28 12 Aug 05

tunny-- The computer that I am due to get later today [the company phoned me yesterday, and confirmed that I would be receiving the goods on Friday]is very similar to the Novatech BB-SP26BB with an additional 160Gb Maxtor hard-drive and Cdrw [branded] into the £167.32 price. All that is required is to install O/S for action,they could have provided and installed XP Home O/S for about £70.00, but I already have a new XP Pro available to install.They could have supplied other certain upgrades, had I required them, at a very good price, but I will hold further upgrades back for the time being.

The company that I am getting it from, is a reasonable sized company that deal mainly with trade outlets, but will supply the general public.Will not mention the company yet, until I have tested the computer, and I am happy with the end results.

spuds 00:30 12 Aug 05

Appologies to ame, for hijacking the posting.

lucylastic 11:48 12 Aug 05

Having just purchased an Aries PC from Watford
Electronics, I'd be slightly wary... I have now been waiting seventeen days for a power cable for the monitor so after two phone calls and six e-mails , none of which have they replied to, I begin to wonder if Watford Electrics are under a big dark cloud !!! (lucylastic)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…