The Carphone Warehouse broadband offer

Forum Editor 18:08 22 Apr 06

hasn't exactly got you all falling over each other in the rush to sign up has it?

If our unofficial poll is to be believed on a small percentage of you have signed, or are planning to sign in the near future - just 10.5%

What is it that's stopping you all - free broadband for life is a fantastic offer.........isn't it?

SG Atlantis® 18:20 22 Apr 06

The price war.

People will stick with what they know. It's usually people that have had trouble with their current ISP that want to migrate.

I think people will stick with their current ISP and hope CPW forces ISPs into further price cuts.

But how can you beat free?

Totally-braindead 18:21 22 Apr 06

But will you get free BB for life or will something go wrong, what connection speed will you get, will there be connection problems and outages. I'm waiting to see. And its a bit of hassle changing your email address and informing everyone and updating your online records at suppliers etc etc. Before I took the plunge I'd want to know what it was like, not what they say its like but what it is actually like.

On the same vane, you said you were with BT in one of the threads. Are you signed up? Are you planning on moving to them? If not why not?

Totally-braindead 18:26 22 Apr 06

For those that are interested and perhaps haven't seen it here it is here click here

TOPCAT® 18:27 22 Apr 06

my current provider - Pipex - to make a positive move on this, once they see how the competition will react. As I was upgraded recently to 2Mbps, for around a fiver less per month, I'm now on a further 12 month contract anyway. So, it's wait and see time for me, but I reckon many similar offers will be around by the time my contract expires. Here's hoping I'm right on this! :o) TC.

spuds 19:09 22 Apr 06

Everyone waiting for the newspaper and television adverts to appear, with the special springtime 'free' broadband offers, from other ISP's ;O).

Forum Editor 19:10 22 Apr 06

and have been for years. I have no intention of moving, simply because the grass might appear a little greener on the other side of the fence.

A lifetime of experience has taught me to know that nobody in business ever gives you anything for nothing - ever - unless they are either deperate or stupid. The CarPhone Warehouse directors are neither.

I'm staying with my efficient, reliable broadband supplier, and I suspect that many other people will feel the same way.

Totally-braindead 19:17 22 Apr 06

TOPCAT® and spuds have kind of summed it up for me as well. I'm waiting to see what my ISP does, plus the other concerns I have about this offer which I already mentioned. I thought you might be staying where you are FE, but if they offer you a cheaper deal you'd be happy too.

Forum Editor 19:22 22 Apr 06

but cost - although important - isn't my prime concern. What I need/want is a fast, reliable service, and prompt attention if anything goes wrong.

I get all that from BT, and so I'll stay. To be honest, I feel a certain sense of loyalty to BT - they've done exactly what they said they would do, ever since they first introduced broadband in the UK. I joined them then, and I've been with them ever since. I think they deserve my business, and I'm not about to skip off somewhere else, just because another company has dressed its shop window with bright, shiny things.

SG Atlantis® 19:26 22 Apr 06

"A lifetime of experience has taught me to know that nobody in business ever gives you anything for nothing - ever - unless they are either deperate or stupid. The CarPhone Warehouse directors are neither."

So what do think the motive is? It certainly appears to good to be true, but it IS!

namtas 20:43 22 Apr 06

I would have thought it was a clear motive, cut the profit margin to the finest limit, capture a mass market. Develop a vast data base and control the market as the competition drop out.
Haven't we seen this before with the oil companys and the supermarkets.
I have to say I am well pleased with Talk Talk as a service provider

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…