In Car Navigator

1514 19:16 30 Mar 04

Has anyone any advice on these in car navigators as I am in two minds whether to buy one and Aldi's have some for sale on 8th. April?

Stuartli 09:44 31 Mar 04

If you have one of the PDA type computers you can buy car navigation programs; in addition you can probably still buy the (once £199) Philips Routefinder for well under £50 which works in similar fashion.

1514 16:41 31 Mar 04

Thanks for the reply Stuartli I have been chasing around the Internet trying to find out about them but I haven’t heard of “The Philips Routfinder”. What I really want, is to hear from someone who has used one of these, as naturally, the demonstration always works properly. I am a little bit apprehensive about laying out a few hundred pounds on facts from a a downloaded demo! The “Lidl” "Navigator" is a “Falk” and has a Typhoon “My Guide 5500” PDA and I can’t find a spec on that only in German, so there is something else that I would like to know. Anyone?

Stuartli 17:47 31 Mar 04

My son has one of the PDA type models (just one of a vast range!) and we used it on a recent 300-mile plus round trip.

You key in where you are - even a street name and town - and where you want to go and the software delivers a detailed map of where you are.

From this point the bottom of the screen indicates which direction to take i.e. turn left, right or carry on and the route you are taking i.e. A1, A14 etc.

The map is continually updated as you make progress.

The Philips Routefinder is a handheld instrument with a built-in card covering the UK. Again, once a route has been entered, it details the roads and directions to take as you make progress.

Both systems are manually operated as each stage is reached so best to have a front seat passenger.

A cheaper alternative is a copy of Microsfot's AutoRoute and a print out before you leave but, obviously, somewhat more restricted.

1514 19:29 31 Mar 04

Hi again Stuartli. The systems that I have been browsing, i.e. is GPS, it keeps you informed visually and verbally, telling you when you should be turning, about one hundred yards in advance and then on the actual turn. The idea was to be able to drive, without the aid of “a passenger navigator”, through an unfamiliar town. There are apparently dedicated systems, which are usually built into the cars, and the PDA systems whereby your PDA is in front of you on a bracket, informing you by sight and sound just where about you are. There is also another dedicated system, due out next month, which is dedicated but portable, i.e. no separate PDA or GPS finder. It is just one small box that sits on top of the dashboard and has the GPS finder, computer, screen and loudspeaker built in and it can, apparently, even change colours to match the interior of the car. These Navigators seem a “Godsend” to me for those who have to travel alone in a car; but I should like to hear from someone who actually uses one of these! Thanks again Stuartli.

spuds 19:56 31 Mar 04

Here's a couple of American sites, that may give you some ideas click here click here

acfc 20:39 31 Mar 04

click here for a UK site that wil help.

I have used Tom Tom navigator with a Dell pocket PC for about 9 months and consider it a godsend. A new version is due for release in April and will cost about £185 including bracket for your car. Obviously you'll also need a PPC.

As you know there is a standalone version coming out at the same time from Tom Tom and but as it will be about the same price as a PPC and software it's hard to see why to chose this unless you really would not use the PPC.

click here for details

fred 21:00 31 Mar 04

I use a Garmin GPS systen in the car O.K. expensive at about £900. It always gets you to the destination but....

It has no local knowledge. It will get you there but may use single track roads etc. Interesting. Still worth it's weight in gold though when driving solo on unfamiliar roads.

Best of all it's transferable from vehicle to vehicle as long as the vehicle has a cigarette lighter socket and can even be used on self contained battery power for hand held use.

1514 23:16 31 Mar 04

Thank you “spuds, acfc and fred” for answering. It is “Tom Tom 3” that I should really like and as you have Tom Tom “acfc” tell me, Do you go to somewhere, where you have never driven before with complete confidence, knowing that Tom Tom will sort everything out for you, and has it ever let you down?

Stuartli 09:01 01 Apr 04

Yes, I'm quite aware of the in-car navigation systems. In fact I often drive one of the latest Mercedes S-Class models with one fitted; it not only finds the best route, but tells you verbally as you approach your next turn which way to go (on a 300 yard countdown and then just before the turn itself).

Very handy if you are in a strange town or an out of the way area of the country.

You can buy GPS systems such as Tom Tom 3 from online suppliers such as dabs:

click here

1514 11:01 01 Apr 04

Thank you once again Stuartli, you have now given me a bit of confidence to buy one, but not only that, you have put me on to some others that I had missed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac