//some 3rd party need geo

in car navigation

Maryp 14:30 21 Feb 04

I'm after some kind of in car navigation system. I'd like gps, and a voice that says "take the next road on the left" etc. Can I buy something that just does that, or have I got to buy a handheld pc, with software and a gps bit, and does it also have to be connected to the intenet, some mention you have to buy a compatable mobile phone as well.
Theres loads of places that sell the stuff, but no where that explains any of it.

kinger 14:52 21 Feb 04

click here

This site have a demo of how it all works. Click on the macromedia demo when you get there.

DeeWEss 16:27 21 Feb 04

Have you seen this article?

click here

It's about one specific system but contains a lot of info that I found useful when I began my search for a GPS system recently. (Haven't yet decided which to get)

DeeWEss 16:38 21 Feb 04

click here

Lots of stuff here to read - now spoilt for choice

anchor 17:29 21 Feb 04

I have the TomTom Navigator 2, and can recommend it. Works in conjunction with a PDA.

Demo and details here:

click here

UK sales source here, (and details of competitive products):

click here

The link given by DeeWEss is a mine of information.

anchor 17:38 21 Feb 04

Total PDA, the sales source referred to above, were most helpful, (and not at all "pushy"), when I bought my GPS.

If you want more info about in-car GPS, give them a call on:

Maryp 18:02 21 Feb 04

Thanks for your replies. I found the total pda site and its great, lots of info, and some great prices. I can get a ipaq pocket pc, and the Tom Tom nav stuff for only £379!
Now I know what I'm talking about I'll have a look in pc world, then buy one cheap online.
Thanks again

anchor 13:45 22 Feb 04

Don`t let the Ipaq battery run flat, otherwise you will need to install the TomTom software all over again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…