Car Key replacement

jack 09:09 02 Apr 10

New[used] car -only one key
Would like a spare- just in case[it did happen once - lost key on a country walk]
I am told that manufacturers want an arm and a leg for such a thing[Renault]
So doing a search- so far have come up with this one
click here
have asked for a quote

Any one had a similar experience and can recommend?

dagbladet 10:51 02 Apr 10

Jack

There is the locksmith just round the corner from you, opposite the chip shop. Failing that there is a man with a van (full of very clever machinery) in Swanley that's very good. Made me a new master for a Toyota, when the one near you said it was impossible.

oldbeefer3 11:12 02 Apr 10

Trouble is, many keys now contain a chip which controls the immobiliser - if it's one of those, man round the corner would be no good, and also explains (to a degree) the cost of replacement. man with the van may be the answer!

dagbladet 11:44 02 Apr 10

oldbeefer3

That's pretty much what happened.

jack 11:55 02 Apr 10

But thanx for the Swanley tip
Any idea of location /contact number?

jack 12:03 02 Apr 10

If its Autolocks- have them got their number now .will ring after the holiday.

Jollyjohn 12:13 02 Apr 10

Spare for a Skoda - £160 plus 3 hours in garage getting it coded - fortunately I only had to pay £40 towards it but it was still an afternoon off work.

dagbladet 12:30 02 Apr 10

Jack. No it's not them. I'll have to take a walk down there and get the number off the side of the van. If you know Swanley at all he's in St Georges estate opposite Vic Eastwood's Moto-Cross shop.

dagbladet 12:32 02 Apr 10

Jollyjohn

That's pretty much what Toyota quoted me. Man with a van did it in 5 minutes for (I think) £60, and it is a master.

oldbeefer3 15:14 02 Apr 10

Thread shift, but blimey - I used to watch an Eastwod scrambling in the '60s.

spuds 16:38 02 Apr 10

If its an un-chipped key, then try Timpsons the shoe repairers.

My local main dealer was asking £170 plus vat including re-coding for replacements keys recently :O((

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac