Canon Pixma ip4500

iscanut2 20:17 16 Aug 08

Am looking to upgrade my ancient printer and have read a couple of good reviews for the above. Do any of you out there use this model, and if so, are you happy with it ? Is ink media expensive or tolerable ?

GRIDD 22:25 16 Aug 08

Part from it keeps telling me this bit is open and that bit is open, please close it before commencing print it's superb.

Originals can be had for £8.50 a cart and you need 5. Compats can be had for £4 or so each.... if cost is an issue you need an Epson.

Kemistri 22:35 16 Aug 08

Yeah, I have one at home as a cheap and cheerful general purpose printer. It appears to be cheap to run and produces very good results: excellent for text; very good for photos; and pretty good for graphics. I don't use it as a photo printer (I always use a pro lab for that) but I would say that it's good enough for casual pass-around prints. My only minor criticism is that is not quite as well built as some printers, such as HPs. It replaced an i865 (pre Pixma) that lasted more than four years.

Have you checked the PC Pro labs test this month? It has a cost chart (as always) and includes the 4500 in the test. It was its pick of the whole lot, actually.

Simsy 07:06 17 Aug 08

for my dad, to replace his ip5300 which went faulty, (and was refunded, without quibble, by Amazon 11 months into guarantee). As far as I can tell the ip4500 is the replacement for the ip5300, (which I have myself).

I've been ver, very pleased with my 5300, and dad, though he's only had it for a wekk, is very happy with the 4500.

Feature it has that may be of interest are that it can print onto CDs/DVDs, and has automatic duplex printing. It also can print direct from cameras using pictbridge.

And it's it's very quiet in operation, and quick.

I think it takes some beating.

Regards,

Simsy

carver 11:14 17 Aug 08

Just bought one to replace a canon IP5000 that developed a fault and up to now it's been brilliant, superb photo's and text is very good.

One word of caution, don't try to refill the ink cartridges yourself, these printers are prone to going wrong if you do.

UncleP 11:52 17 Aug 08

But you can get the cartridges re-filled (or more accurately, exchanged for re-filled cartridges) at a number of stores for about half the price of new ones. I use Cartridge World, because it has a branch close to my house; I think they use Canon ink, and I've never had any problem with them. I'm told you should use the re-filled cartridges within six months of purchase, however.

iscanut2 17:17 17 Aug 08

Thanks for all your comments. Will give it some thought.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:44 17 Aug 08

..or get one of these and you will cut your printing costs hugely..click here You can probably find them cheaper on Ebay or elsewhere.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…