Can you recommend which brand of wireless router?

Rockarch 19:12 25 Jan 05

I am about to take the plunge into a wireless network. Can anyone recommend which would be a good wireless router with modem. I am baffled by the number on offer - all seem to have similar features so is there any difference in reliability or any other way to judge?
I have seen the Linksys WAG 54G, a 3com one, D Link DSL G604T, another from Belkin to name but a few.
Anyone have any reason to strongly recommend or warn against any of these?

GORDAL 20:48 25 Jan 05

An excellent 108G router and PCI cards have been in use at my home for some time now - made by KCorp.

Have a study on their website -

click here

georgemac © 07:27 26 Jan 05

The best deal on the go just now is from ebuyer - D-Link 904 starter kit click here which includes the router, a usb wireless adapter and 1 filter. £75 delivered.

I have now set up 2 of these for friends - very good kit.

Personally I have a netgear dg834g v2 which was £93 when I bought it with free usb adapter - it is also a very good bit of kit.

smoothcue 10:27 26 Jan 05

I've used Netgear products for a couple of years,never had one here

jerichobob 13:02 26 Jan 05

For ease of setup go for the BT2100 with free PCI card at PC World. It's slightly more expensive than the others but is an absolute doddle to get up and running - IF YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Someone on this forum decided not to do this and spent quite some time wondering why he couldn't get back on to the internet.

Why do I keep telling people this? Makes me look a right plank. Mind you, if someone learns from my mistake then..... lol.

Sir Radfordin 13:44 26 Jan 05

Netgear was the easiest to set up. D-link seems to have been the most reliable. Linksys seems to have been a mixture of the two.

The next one I buy is likely to be D-link because reliability comes before ease of use (for me anyway!)

Urotsukidoji 14:30 26 Jan 05

got a cisco router and pix.

not cheap and not for the newbie user wanting to network their house

but by god its secure!

ARomeo 17:02 26 Jan 05

Seems to be the BEST if you are running on 802.11g because it uses technology that supposedly will be used in the next generation 802.11n standard. It beats current routers on signal strength and transfer speeds. It was tested in the last issue of PC Advisor and there's another article about it in the current magazine. Will set you back at least £120 and more if you need the other peripherals. It doean't have a usb connection though, only ethernet.

Al94 20:52 26 Jan 05

Netgear without a doubt - so easy to set up, great performance and excellent customer support should it be needed.

the-eel 22:08 26 Jan 05

do any of these work without the need for the pc the modem is connected to to be powered up?

GibsonSt19 23:46 26 Jan 05

On Netgear DG834GT 108mbps Modem/Router, plus 108mbps Netgear PCI Card...

It really is a very good price for this kit. Most other places are selling these two for £150 +

click here

Hope that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…