Can you REALLY boil a Voyager ?

ITworksforme 11:22 04 Sep 07

Saw this today and wondered if it is real or a 'put up' ?

click here

I know these things are supposed to be 'ruggedised' - but surely you can't actually boil the thing ?

I was looking for a memory stick and have to say that if this is 'real', then I am tempted

Has anyone (Brigadier/Gandalf and co) got any thoughts/hands-on experience of how strong these things really are ?

€dstowe 12:25 04 Sep 07

Why would you want to do any of these things?

techie4me 13:51 04 Sep 07

If it's on hexus it must be true, or is it?

Probabilitydrive 14:00 04 Sep 07

The application of a boiled memory stick is puzzling. However, I'm certain any time traveller, who finds him/herself accidentally quartered or boiled alive, will appreciate that their data on 'medieval England' is save and sound...:)

beeuuem 18:35 04 Sep 07

Don't know about boiling but my Crucial Gizmo was left in a jacket pocket for a 60c wash last year.
It came out with a beautifully clean lanyard and works perfectly.

Belatucadrus 20:12 04 Sep 07

As has been stated, the use for a memory stick that survives conditions that would terminate its owner would appear to be limited and as far as the buyer is concerned academic.
It's the same as those watches that tell the time under a 100 metres of water, unless you're a diver, or want to know the exact time at which you drown. Why bother ?

UncleP 11:27 05 Sep 07

The basic (silicon) semiconductor elements will not only survive but operate at temperatures above 100oC. Many years ago I ran a simple transistor circuit, operating as a temperature sensor, continuously for several weeks at 100-120oC.

In practice the survival of more complex electronic components is limited by the melting, deterioration or decomposition of other elements eg plastics, adhesives, circuit boards etc.

In addition, the maximum operating temperature is often much lower as a result of the heat generated in a complex component - a microprocessor, for example - which can raise its internal temperature by some tens of degrees.

Clearly, a memory stick is near optimum in that it is little more than a simple array of semiconductor memory chips in a ruggedized container.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…