Can they charge for the return?`

Lead 01:41 02 Sep 04

I intend to return an item to Simply, unopened and unused within 7 days (more like 3). I intend to pay the return postage myself. Are they within their rights to charge a fee? (Whether they call it a restocking fee or not.)

There is a clause in the Distance Selling Regulations regarding fees, but I don't fully understand it as it is in legal terms.

I want to be able to 'fight my corner' if they impose an unreasonable, ie any, fee.

feb 03:12 02 Sep 04

show a link, so that we can see exactly which simply you're talking about!

Forum Editor 07:14 02 Sep 04

for goods that are returned in an unused condition within the 7 day period allowed under the terms of the Distance selling regulations. You must pay the cost of the return, and if the item has a significant monetary value you should, in your own interests, arrange insurance cover for it whilst in transit. If you don't, and it's lost or damaged in transit you'll be liable.

I hope that helps?

Lead 07:15 02 Sep 04

No problem. But surely the law is the law irrespective of which Simply it is?!

click here

Lead 07:21 02 Sep 04

It does in deed. Thank you.

That was the impression I got from reading the regulations:

click here

But the more I read it, the more my mind ran in circles and the more unsure I got. :)

As I understand it, it pretty much hinges on the goods being unused, re-sellable, i.e. as new, undamaged and I pay for the return postage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…