Can I upgrade my PC or is it too old??!!

Spurs442 15:13 12 Oct 10

I have a Fujitsu Scaleo PC (bought in 2004). It has: XP 3200 Processor, 500 GB Hard Drive and 1GB of RAM.

Is anyone familiar with this PC? Basically, I want to do a bit of video editing, quite a bit actually. Before buying a brand new PC, I wanted to double check that my existing one is past it. For example, I'm looking at an Intel I5 machine with up to 8GB of RAM, a good graphics card and 1.5TB hard drive.

Could mine be upgraded to somehow measure up to this? I'm guessing the answer is no, but wanted to check before I spend about £800-£1000 on a new machine.

Thanks in avance for any comments!

bremner 15:22 12 Oct 10

I wanted to double check that my existing one is past it? - for video editing it is.

Could mine be upgraded to somehow measure up to this? - Not without spending a large amount of money, only the case is probably usable.

961 15:46 12 Oct 10

Quite honestly I'd go for a new one, for these reasons

Windows 7 is a much better operating system for intensive work such as video editing

A modern processor is light years in front of what you have

Graphics have moved on

I could go on but I'd just say it's time to buy new because the basics of your machine are now 7 years old and coming to the end of their working life. You need an upgraded power supply, a new case, a new motherboard... It's cheaper to buy new

However, I'm not at all sure you need to spend the money you suggest. I think you can buy a modern machine for no more than five or six hundred

Intel i7 or i5 processor, windows 7, 6gb ram, a reasonable graphics card. Perhaps a new monitor, or perhaps not

spuds 18:40 12 Oct 10

Having spent time and money 'upgrading' old computers, I would strongly suggest that you look at more recent models especially fit for the purpose. Fitting new to old isn't always going to work out, with no real warranties regarding future satisfaction.

Keep your original computer as a spare, because the specification given, plus age, will not raise an high resale price.

Strawballs 01:32 13 Oct 10

With a 500gig HDD you could use it for staorage for your edited videos if you network it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…