Can I transfer LPs and tapes to CD via my PC?

Pappyon 11:27 15 Nov 03

I have a lot of old LPs and cassette tapes, I would like to transfer on to CDs. I believe there is software that can do this. Has anybody used and could recommend "Audio Cleaning Lab 2004" on click here={59FDD39B-B7F3-4377-8C5F-784CCACCEB6D}&TRK=10&MC=
If so is it easy to use, what's involved, and does it give good results.

I have copied music CDs without too much trouble using Nero, but that is as far as I have managed.

Thanks for all help received.

toxin 12:09 15 Nov 03

Hi Pappyon!

I have Audio Cleaning Lab 3, and have transferred all my 60/70s vynil and tapes to CD, and also my HDD, which now contains some 3000 tracks.

The program is relatively easy to use, and will do all you need; I think it still includes the connecting lead from amp to sound card.

A couple of tips: always use CDR never CDRW, and if you want good quality keep your burn speed down to 8 or 16x.

Hope this helps, any probs call back, and I'm sure you'll find someone with the answer, Toxin.

pj123 12:18 15 Nov 03

I use LP Recorder and LP Ripper to do just that. Find it here click here

christmascracker 13:09 15 Nov 03
  Pappyon 16:49 15 Nov 03

Toxin. I have ordered Audio Cleaning lab. It still does include the required lead. I hope it's long enough!

Can anybody help me with a problem I have when taping from LPs to a cassette deck. Unless I turn the recording level up quite high I don't get very high volume (for want of a better word)on playback of the cassette tape I am making, but when I do this the sound is distorted. I am taping on to chrome tapes which should be able to take a recording level of +3db. I don't get this problem when taping from CDs. I have a feeling it is the turntable to blame. I have adjusted the tracking force to the maximum and it makes no difference.The turntable has a moving magnet cartridge if that means anything to any expert. I didn't have this problem with my old-fashioned turntable that I consigned to the dustbin. This is what you call progress

If I can't get help on this here, I would be grateful If anybody could point me to a newsgroup where I can post this message

lixdexik 18:51 15 Nov 03

If you are just connecting the turntable leads to the sound card then you will not get any volume.. the turntable must be amplified before it is connected to the comp.. your old record player would have had a built in amp which is why it worked..

Hope this helps Cheers Lixdexik.

Pappyon 19:20 15 Nov 03

Yes, it is connected to a tuner/amp. As I said I can get the gain when I am taping from a CD without having to turn the recording level 'way up on the cassette deck. I think it's something to do with the type of cartridge on the turntable

PCA ed 15:14 17 Nov 03

There's a workshop in PCA Jan04 issue on this very subject.

Alan2 15:25 17 Nov 03

Saved for reference.

If your tuner/amp has a headphone socket, you could try connecting this to the input on your sound card.

Stuartli 17:08 17 Nov 03

A cartridge will require a pre-amp.

Have you tried connecting to the tuner/amp's output sockets from your PC's sound card whilst the turntable or cassette desk is operating?

If you go to click here and then Connected>Boot Camp, you will find a series of articles on this subject by Rick Maybury which are most informative.

Look in the Boot Camp's archive list for the articles - you will spot them from the titles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…