can i get my money back from pc world?

dfghjkl 19:47 10 Oct 03

i bought a graphics card from pc world,Reading Berks in may this year it was a hercules 4500 agp.i found out it was an old model and not supported any more.i took it back to pcw and chose a mx440,agp,this stopped working after a month so i took it back,they only had a pci mx440 for £10 more.the rep knocked the £10 off and i accepted it.i fitted it and all was fine it was now july,shortly after my pc became unstable(xp pro)it would crash while playing games and i would have to reset it a couple of times on boot up just to get started.recently it would crash 4 or 5 times on start up as well as crashing playing basic games.i blamed the kids for downloading ribbish,i bit the bullet at the weekend and did a format and fresh install,but to my horror things were still the same,on advice i took out the graphics card and used the on board graphics,things are fine now,so it could be a faulty card or my pc has got a problem with graphics cards.i paid £60 for the card (the most expensive mx440 on the market)it is no use,the graphics are better with the on board,am i entitled to a refund or a credit,or anything? or have i spent £60 on a card i cant use,i have tried the latest drivers for it,so i have done all i can,i have the box,packaging and receipt,can anyone advise,thanks

soy 20:00 10 Oct 03

I helped my cousin install an AGP graphics card recently and I discovered that the Bios was set to detect the graphics card via PCI. I switched it to AGP.

Maybe you have any option like this in your Bios?
Its worth a try.

bremner 20:06 10 Oct 03

You do not say so in your post but I assume you had disabled the on board graphics in the BIOS when you had the PCI card installed

dfghjkl 20:49 10 Oct 03

yes i changed from onboard agp to pci,i need the pc working as i have 3 kids that use it for homework etc and need to know it will work ok,i have given up on graphics cards so i need to know where i stand

wee eddie 22:12 10 Oct 03

It often helps to know what is involved as the equation can become quite complex.

We know that you have upgraded to XP, but from what?

Chegs ® 22:45 10 Oct 03

Could simply be the card is getting hot,after just a few weeks the dust buildup could be stopping airflow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant