can I ask for my money back ?

nickedname 17:37 26 Jan 03

Where do I stand when I have a problem with a PC assembled from parts ?
In November I bought all the parts to assemble a PC, except HD, floppy and modem, from Aria Technology, Manchester.
Immediately on first power-up the PC started doing unexpected reboots [blank HD at this point] I found the only way to keep it running for any length of time was to turn the AMD 2000+ CPU down to 1250 Mhz
Arias support policy seems very unhelpful as they only offer to test parts rather than looking at the entire system and then, after a couple of weeks, I just get a brief email saying part tested OK and they want £8.16 to send it back to me [this seemed a bit excessive for a stick of RAM when it had only cost me £3+ to send it to them by special del]
So far they have had the DDR RAM, Asus mainboard and the CPU, it is starting to look like they are just messing me about and if they go on like this I am going to run up some hefty carriage charges, there is still the power supply, graphics card and CD-RW to go at.

Am I within my rights to just return everything and ask for a refund ?

tippucat 18:09 26 Jan 03

You need to look at the Sale Of Goods Act and quote from that i.e if not fit for the purpose...The Act is designed to protect all consumers (can't quite remember all the detail-look up on web). Might be worth chatting with your local Citizen Advice or Trading Standards as well. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

DieSse 18:14 26 Jan 03

No, I don't think you are entitled to a refund at this stage, personally.

When you buy parts to make up a system, it's your responsibility to make sure the parts run together, and if they don't, to identify which is the problem part - then you can, quite correctly get it changed. If you need a supply of alternative parts to do so, then you've discovered one of the overheads that system builders have to bear.

I'm not sure what you expect the supplier to do - if they test the parts and they work fine, in my book they're entitled to charge for this service, as well as the postage.

If you wanted an assembled and tested system, which you really could return if it didn't work, then that's what you should have bought.

You could always ask if you could send them the whole system to test, making sure you outline the circumstances under which it didn't work correctly - then at least they may stand a chance to find out what's going on - which may, of course be an assembly problem. I would expect them to charge for this (and rightly), unless there is a faulty part.

Rayuk 18:30 26 Jan 03

What motherboard and psu do you have.

Ranger 18:32 26 Jan 03

if you don't want to do what DieSse says, it's probably best if you can get another pc (a friends?) and test the parts individually to find the fault yourself

Elrond 18:36 26 Jan 03

Have to agree with DieSse on this, you order the products to build it is your responsibilty to know they'll work together and to get them to work together. Maybe you shud get the parts tested elsewhere, to make sure they're not fobbig you off. Unexpected reboots could be due to your PSU being faulty. Or the CPU may be getting to hot. Have you checked everything is installed correcty, Heatsink/Fan etc, CPU in the slot correctly?

spuds 18:39 26 Jan 03

Could be tricky this one. Perhaps a browse on these consumer sites may help click here click here click here click here

Patr100 18:49 26 Jan 03

Awkward though it may be if you built the system yourself from parts you purchased they are within their rights to consider the individual parts as separate items. Perhaps a part is at fault but I wouldn't expect them to trouble your system for free.

Patr100 18:51 26 Jan 03

trouble = troubleshoot

Forum Editor 18:52 26 Jan 03

that this is one of the pitfalls you can encounter with self-building. The 'manufacturer' of the finished computer is you, and if it doesn't work you have nobody to claim against.

Having said that, you can of course claim a refund if a specific part is faulty, but at the moment (the law is going to change) the onus is on your to prove that the part was faulty when supplied, and that's not going to be easy.

The fault may be in the assembly, and I imagine you have carefully checked that all the components are properly seated and all fans are running. Check the BIOS settings very carefully, this is a common source of problems with self-build machines.

It would be quite wrong to assume the supplier is "just messing me about" at this stage, after all, they didn't build the machine did they?

nickedname 15:48 27 Jan 03

Thanks for everyone's views and suggestions.
As companies such as Aria seem to be targeting people who want to try updating or building a PC I feel they could be more helpful when things dont go according to plan.
I had not asked for parts to be tested originally, I was only looking for some help in tracing the problem but never really got any.
Also, I understand from stuff I have read recently that the problem could be caused by a combination of parts that not 100% up to spec, such as a CPU that was borderline for getting its speed rating and maybe a power supply with an output not as smooth as it should be and Aria will never find anything like that with such a blinkered view.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…