Can' decide!

rickf 16:41 11 Jan 03

Considering buying 17"TFT LCD monitor from Staples tomorrow> Can't decide between AOC and Cybercom. Both same price./ I think the Cybercom produces a brighter background on first impression but need to fiddle with both to compare. I only had a glimpse of them today. The AOC has beetr design, looks better with silver frame whereas Cybercom comes in ordinary beige. Any opinions?

Sorry should read can't decide.

BrianW 17:22 11 Jan 03

If all else is equal, see if you can find out what the transistor switch rate is. Probably be around 40 - 45 micro seconds. If you can get faster than this (I think some of the newer ones such as Hercules are down to 20 - 25 micro secs) thats the one to go for. Faster switching rate means less blur in fast games / DVD playback

rickf 17:25 11 Jan 03

Thanks BrianW. Will go see tomorrow. I know you have one with DG input because you gave me info in this once, I think. Is the difference great? If it is I might wait till the price comes down a bit more and go for one with DG.

BrianW 18:18 11 Jan 03

Worth having - but it does tend to cost significantly more.

everythingsuk 19:30 11 Jan 03

i got a PROVIEW 17" TFT from Pcworld reduced to 298! its AMAZING quality, no blurring even on GTA 3, the sims etc.

one thing, do i use cleartype or not? coz it looks kinda blurry with it on but with it off, it takes lots of fiddling to make it perfect...

everythingsuk 19:30 11 Jan 03

i got a PROVIEW 17" TFT from Pcworld reduced to 298! its AMAZING quality, no blurring even on GTA 3, the sims etc.

one thing, do i use cleartype or not? coz it looks kinda blurry with it on but with it off, it takes lots of fiddling to make it perfect...

BrianW 20:19 11 Jan 03

I dont use cleartype, but I do set the font smoothing option on in screen properties / effects and I run the advanced settings/font size set to "large font" 125% normal option. Apart from that, I find that so long as I use the 1280 X 1024 setting everything is nice and clear.

BrianW 10:23 12 Jan 03

rikf - gave the wrong switch rate units last night, for micro seconds read milli seconds (only a factor of 1000 out!) I wish that they could switch TFT transistors in micro secs but that is in the realms of Sci Fi.

rickf 12:53 12 Jan 03

Thanks everyone. It helps from people with experience. I'll close this thread now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…