Can a Dealer/Manufacturer warranty say...

Z1100 17:22 27 Dec 06

"All systems come with a one year return to base warranty all you pay is postage and parts at trade prices no labour"

It's the pay for part replacement that I think is wrong but I can't say for sure.

The 'part' is a CD ROM drive in a PC. The PC is 25 days old and it appears this 'sole trader' wants my Son to pay for the replacement part in a custom built PC.

Any leagal link for proof one way or the other would be nice.

Hanx!
K.

The Brigadier 17:51 27 Dec 06

Who's the company??

ulrich 18:09 27 Dec 06

You tell him you want it replaced or repaired. I think The Sale of Goods Act is what you want.

Z1100 18:11 27 Dec 06

but...

this is almost certainly 'a lad' working from home and selling on e-bay as a power seller.

His 'whois' entry was listed as an 'individual' until I pointed out the website to Nominet. They in turn immediately listed his address and told me
'After checking the website for the complete-pcs.co.uk domain name it appears that the website is being used in the course of business and/or trade. In light of this we have opted the registrant into the whois. You can now view their contact address information via our whois'

So that was nice. Looking at the e-bay item click here
it is a nice looking box, heavy on price with XP-Pro installed but not supplied and no recovery disc or partition. So, dare I suggest illegal?

And the warranty statement is 'All systems come with a one year return to base warranty all you pay is postage and parts at trade prices no labour'

So I need good information before I dive in and ask for
1; A genuine XP CD and COA and
2; A new CD ROM Drive Free of charge.
or
3; A Refund, which my Son is not keen on. *sigh* It is his money so I will let him decide.

Hanx!
K.

Z1100 18:13 27 Dec 06

but I cannot find a relevant bit of text to quote and I am going crosseyed looking! ;)

Hanx!
K.

spuds 18:30 27 Dec 06

click here click here click here

If the part is faulty, then it is the legal duty of the retailer to replace/repair or offer a refund at your discretion. The retailers terms and conditions cannot override UK consumer law (if purchased in the UK, from a UK retailer/supplier)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…