Can anyone recommend a digital camera?

SteevScotland 15:20 04 Jun 04

My dad is looking to buy his first digital camera. He wants to spend no more than 200 pounds. He says he wants the camera to be able to display photos on a TV screen and have a rechargeable battery. Can anyone recommend a camera?

Cheers S

byfordr 15:30 04 Jun 04

click here click here click here click here for best prices

A little over budget but would recommend Olympus C-50 Zoom. 5mp, excellent battery life.

Failing that anything by Olympus or Canon is good. (You can probably pick up a ixus for that money)

Does the budget include money for extra memory cards, a case etc?

Most cameras come with a next to useless sized memory card.

Look out for optical zoom. Digital is next to useless. Also on most compact cameras even the optical zoom isn't too hot.

R

byfordr 15:32 04 Jun 04

Also go out on the high street and try before you buy. Nothing worse than being stuck with a camera you hate.

R

pj123 15:34 04 Jun 04

Not a very good question as anyone who responds will recommend the Digital camera they already have. For example, I have a Minolta Z1 a really good camera, comes with ordinary batteries but I have bought NiMh rechargable batteries with charger. I also have a Nikon camera that did come with a rechargable battery and charger. Go to this site and type in your preferences and see the results. click here

shifty 16:25 04 Jun 04

I would go for the Fuji S5000, superb quality camera with a 10 X optical zoom and 2.5 digital zoom, plugs into your TV etc. click here Runs off standard AA batteries which are readily available as rechargable, got a pack with eight batteris and charger from Maplins for around £14.99. For the spec you don't get much better.

Djohn 16:35 04 Jun 04

Don't leave Kodak out of your selection. Excellent cameras. All the well known brands will give superb results so go for the important requirements within your price range.

Look for 3-4 mp image, 3-4 times optical zoom, good quality lens, battery type and very important is how it feels in your hand with ease of use. No good having a camera that is so complicated it spends most of it's time sat on your desk. j.

Stuartli 17:58 04 Jun 04

My son, who has used a Fuji 2400, has had his heart set on a Canon Ixus for some time.

One came up recently on offer, but was the one that wasn't as good as the others, so he gave it a miss.

However, last weekend he snapped up the Canon A70 at Argos for £149.99; it's a 3.2MP with 3x zoom, clever Automatic Focus and a host of features and takes cracking pix.

It also feels and handles the way you would expect from its shape - just like my Ashai Pentax Spotmatic (and also the S1 on which it was based) film SLR of the mid-1960s.

The A70 hass been virtually twice as much as the Argos price in the past and someone else I know whose daughter has one paid £210 for it only a few weeks ago.

Djohn 18:06 04 Jun 04

That's an excellent price for a superb little camera. Just prior to Christmas it was retailing at £240-£250. j.

961 18:57 04 Jun 04

I've had 3 Canon digital cameras. They produce super pictures and work well. The software is well sorted and they are good value. The A70 mentioned above is a good example

Whatever you buy, you need an optical zoom and remember that when taking pictures you will find looking through the viewfinder produces the best results especially in bright sunshine

Remember Jessops often price match stuff advertised on the net

PUNKA 19:36 04 Jun 04

Believe it or not but last week My wife dragged me down to Kwik save near where we live banging on about this digital camera under £50.00. I saw it and bought one straight away its bang on, here is the spec; 4.0 megapixel,3.1 m/p sensor resolution,4 In 1 colour usb camera,webcam,camcorder,voice recorder,auto exposure,4 x digital zoom,1.5 tft lcd screen res 2304x1728 model Medion MD 41084 but NO MEMORY CARD bought 128 mb off net for £30.00.HTH.

georgemac 20:25 04 Jun 04

click here kodak 5mp camera for £152 and gets good reviews, and leaves some of the budget for batteries and more memory.

I agree canon products are excellent and the a70 would be a very good piece of kit.

I just got a sony dsc-v1 but it is above his budget but is an amazing camera.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…