Cameras... so much choice!? Kodak Z740?

Simsy 15:39 01 Nov 06

Folks,

with apologies, because I realise posting here is a slightly lazy way of doing research, but there's just soooo much to choose from I've got a headache...

I'm thinking of replacing my digital camera. Required spec is as follows;

Budget is up to £150

5 Mpix, (or higher)

Optical zoom

Uses SD card

Not a small screen.

Viewfinder, not just screen.

Must be quick to take pics between shots, (I'm fed up with taking a pic then waiting an age before I can take another!)

Decent battery consumption.

Preferably not "huge", (but this isn't a dealbreaker!)

I'm thinking of the Kodak Z740, click here and would appreciate any observations on this, from folk that have one, with specific reference to speed and battery life.

I'd also welcome recommendations for others that tally with above spec.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

The Kestrel 17:29 01 Nov 06

A friend bought the Canon A620 recently and is very pleased with its performance click here alternatively there is the slightly cheaper A540 with similar specs but 6MP and no variable angle LCD screen click here

Totally-braindead 17:30 01 Nov 06

A review click here and most others are listed there as well. ANd the review is good might consider one myself as I was looking for one with a better zoom than I have at the moment.

Simsy 18:12 01 Nov 06

Nice review, in particular, that Totally-braindead has provided a link to...

However, it doesn't mention, even there, (unless I've missed it, whether it's quick/slow to be ready take another picture.

I'd particularly welcome observations on that point, if anyone has first hand experience.

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

hzhzhzhz 19:51 01 Nov 06

Does this help?.click here

Simsy 20:08 01 Nov 06

just what I wanted to read...

It seems the figure is regarded as "slow by current standards", but it's still much faster than I'm used to!

Thanks,

Brilliant report.

Regards,

Simsy

Totally-braindead 22:16 01 Nov 06

It dies actually mention it here it is
"The Z740s shooting performance was very good. From power up to first image was captured measured just under 5 seconds. Shutter lag, the delay between depressing the shutter and capturing the image, measured less than 1/10 second when pre-focused and only 2/10 second including autofocus. The shot- to-shot delay averaged 1.6 seconds without the flash and only 1.8 seconds using the flash. The Z740 has two burst modes: Using First Burst, I was able to capture 5 images in 1.9 seconds. Last Burst continuously captured images at the same 2.6 per second rate, saving only the last 4 shots. The viewfinder (either EVF or LCD) briefly displays the last captured image in either Burst mode, allowing you to follow a moving subject. The Z740 flushes its buffer at a relatively fast rate, taking only 7 - 10 seconds to empty a 5 image burst, and allow you to start shooting again. Our test were done using a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB SD card, Program mode, ISO Auto, flash off, preview off, and all other settings at default (unless noted.) Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc. " if thats any help.

Simsy 07:30 02 Nov 06

I think I'd missed that whole page yesterday...

square eyes and a headache!

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 11:21 02 Nov 06

Boots is advertising the Olympus FE-115 5MP at half price (£89.99) in today's Daily Mail.

Also on the website:

click here

Stuartli 11:22 02 Nov 06

Just noticed that it uses an XD not SD card...:-(

But Olympus does make some exceedingly good cameras and has done so for a long time.

Stuartli 16:28 02 Nov 06

Ironically Jessops has just sent an e-mail offering 10 per cent off various models, including the 7.3MP Fuji Finepix A700 at £117 rather than £130 (but still XD cards). See:

click here

for website details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…