Camcorder suggestions please

flick 22:50 23 Feb 03

I'm about to buy a camcorder and am drawn towards the smaller versions for ease of carrying around. I don't need the stills option - I have a good quality digital camera. I have looked at the Canon MV5. Budget up to £1000.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what to look out for? or particular recommendations? or good websites/magazines for reviews?

Ability to upload to computer for editing purposes is essential.

ordep 06:24 24 Feb 03

You will want DV in as well as out for puter editing, but you probable already know that,

Useful site click here or click here

Stuartli 09:29 24 Feb 03

My son, who has had a Samsung analogue camcorder for 10 years (actually a rebadged Sony) has just acquired the rather delicious Sony DSR-PC8 DV camcorder.

Beautifully tiny, yet with a mass of features, it fits in the palm of his hand.

Prices range from £725 to £999 or more but he acquired his from LetsGoDigital for just £649 including next day delivery.

MichelleC 10:11 24 Feb 03

... and another plus with Sony is you can use it's 'throughput' to pass to pc any old analogue tapes as well (but not all models do). It saves having to get a 'capture' analogue card.

flick 19:02 24 Feb 03

Many thanks for your input. Actually I didn't know I needed DV in and out so thanks for that, ordep. I had a look at the Sony you recommended, Stuartli, and it seems to have slightly more features than the Canon MV5i at roughly the same price. Also What Camcorder seems to rate it slightly better too.

Stuartli 19:08 24 Feb 03

Another factor with the Sony DSR-PC8 is that it is remarkably quiet - very important when good, clear sound is required.

Sony has a wide range of DV camcorders but my son chose this particular one because of its quietness, remarkable size and great range of features.

He's already got some great footage....:-)

BryanT 20:09 24 Feb 03

I also suggest an optical stabiliser, but these seem to be hard to find these days, probably because of size. My Sony Hi8 3100 has it, and it's brilliant.

Stuartli 01:46 25 Feb 03

The Sony DSR-PC8 includes a picture stabiliser....

Lead 04:16 25 Feb 03

Whatever you do, don't choose any of Sony's Micro MV format cameras. I wish I hadn't. :(

Reason being, there's no support for it. Not even from Sony. The supplied editing software is useless. It may get better in 6 months or so, but until then, stick with DV.

(I won't be buying another Sony product again because of the hastle I've had, but that's a personal opinion.)

cara 12:25 25 Feb 03

I have recently bought the Sony TRV50, which has been very well reviewed, and so far, though I am still getting to know it - I am impressed.

I bought it from click here, which was extremely competitive, in addition to offering 12 months interest free credit. (£996, I think).

A brilliant website full of reviews, tips and a great information forum is click here.

The hot topic of the moment is the new range of Sony camcorders, which are about become available - plenty of info on these too - so well worth a visit.

flick 16:33 25 Feb 03

I have bought the Sony DCR-PC8, based on its size, features, and a very competitive price from Ask in Tottenham Court Road - very helpful salesman - who matched the Askdirect website price of £644.

I was wary of the Micro MV format because it seems you lose some definition with the compression format and being more recent models they are quite a bit more expensive.

I'll let you know how we get on when my son has opened his 18th birthday present on Thursday.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…