camcorder - mini dv / dvd / hard disk

reddwarfcrew 23:19 01 Sep 06

Can someone briefly explain the pro's and cons of the different types of camcorders? I went to smiths to pick up buyers guide mag but could only find ones on cameras not camcorders.

Thanks.

sean-278262 00:26 02 Sep 06

DV - It is still a tape medium and therefore heavier than DVD plus it makes the camera larger. Uses firewire/iLink to connect to a PC
DVD - Disks are 8cm small and compact however they do however happen to be rather expensive as from what I know they dont tend to be very compliant at using different brand disks. Also you require a DVD drive to read them and a writer if you intend to use a PC to erase them. Drop the disk in the drive to connect.
Hard Disk - Fastest transfer of all the formats. However they have limited capacity. Never seen replaceable drives. So it means it is the least versatile format. Usually USB2.0 or firewire/iLink

It depends what you want really as to which is best. Any definition as to what you plan to use them for?

Kingell 23:38 04 Sep 06

I'm a pro DVD producer but I use "domestic" software because it more user friendly. I have virtually all the editing programs available and mix in between them.
I would recommend a Panasonic DV camcorder. Depending on your budget you could try to buy a 3 x CCD version. Make sure it has firewire in and out.
DVD recorders produce a medium which is difficult for domestic editors (VOB files)
I haven't tried hard disk versions yet. I usually wait until they've sorted all the bugs!!
I can't recommend Sony gear. The compatability problems are horrendous.
JVC are good - I have an NTSC version bought on E-bay which is excellent.
I would recommend you try Serif's MoviePlus5 for capture and editing.
Magix stuff is good as well.
Pinnacle software is still very unstable despite what they say and I haven't found their help system very good. I still don't have CD3 installed from Studio Plus 10
If you want "professional" programs you'll need a big wallet.
If you think IO can help further then E-mail me.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5