Calling tech support

H-J 23:50 19 Feb 03

A while ago I came across this item

click here

and a lot of it, although to a certain extent written tongue in cheek, is very relevant. One of the things that seem to crop up here a lot and which seem to garner a larger than average number of replys is after sales back up. Personally I have never had to call any tech support -touch wood- so I cannot really comment on quality, but having followed a lot of recent postings, one thing I have noted is a lack of input from someone who has been on the other end of the phone, actually taking calls. before you can complain about support, perhaps it would be only fair to sit down and think what you expect from the person on the other end of the phone, and wonder what kind of constraints they may be working under. maybe also try to imagine what it would be like if the tables were turned and a total stanger called you up and began abusing you down the phone.

Now, before anyone starts getting in a tizzy about the last, I'm not suggesting all or even most people do this. what I do know is that it does happen, because I had a close family member that used to work in a call centre (for a utility company), and some days she would come home in tears because of the verbal abuse that she had been forced to endure.

I'm not sure if because of the above link this post belongs in the help room or not. if not, I expect to hear from the FE on this, but what the hey, I think I've got it right.

Sir Radfordin™ 08:30 20 Feb 03

All makes sense.

My advice would be to write the exact problem down you are having in your own words and see if it makes sense.

So often I've had calles logged to me, and going to see the person it turns out to be something very different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…