calling a mobile abroad from a landline in Britain

palinka 16:39 12 Dec 09

My neighbour has a BT landline which includes the usual free calls at weekends.
At weekends she phones her 2 grandchildren. One lives in Japan; the other in Belgium.
They are both students & have no landlines, so she has to phone them on their mobiles and this works out expensive especially as she can talk for England. Currently she buys a £20 call card for these chats but I think there may be a cheaper way; but after trawling through the information (!) on BT's website I've almost lost the will to live.
Please, has anyone any info or advice about the cheapest way to make these calls.

beeuuem 16:57 12 Dec 09

The cheapest way usually is to use an override number.
Have a look at click here
and click here

palinka 17:58 12 Dec 09

thanks , beeuuem; I've had a quick look and it seems that will do the trick. Looks quite a bit cheaper (eg only 20p a minute to Belgium instead of around 30p that she's paying at the moment).

Sapins 20:18 12 Dec 09

If she has broadband tell her to have a look at click here

palinka 09:21 13 Dec 09

thanks Sapins. that's a good idea.

Jim Thing 11:37 13 Dec 09

If her grandchildren have laptops and broadband, I'd suggest that she tries Skype. I have webcam chats regularly with family members in Canada and they cost us nothing.

Jim Thing 11:40 13 Dec 09

palinka 21:48 13 Dec 09

thanks everyone, you've given me lots of useful links - I'm sure we'll be able to reduce her costs now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…