C Michael Arnold from Eugene HP Pavilion 15-n267sa

C_Michael_Arnold_Eugene 12:53 07 Jul 14

Hi All,

My name is C Michael Arnold from Eugene. Recently I have bought HP Pavilion 15-n267sa but it heated within half an hour. Someone please tell me the permanent solution for this problem.

Thanks

Michael

hastelloy 16:08 07 Jul 14

I'd return it to the seller.

Secret-Squirrel 16:38 07 Jul 14

If it's a new laptop then I agree with Marvin. If it's not, and you can't return it for a refund, then here are some instructions on cleaning the air-vents using a can of compressed air with a long straw attachment. A can should cost less than $15 and is a quick, easy, and effective way to solve overheating problems that are caused by an accumulation of dust and fluff.

lotvic 19:38 07 Jul 14

I realise that advice is on the HP website, but, is it just me that thinks it a bad idea to used compressed air to clean laptop vents? Surely that would just blow the dust and fluff further into the laptop?

Secret-Squirrel 09:04 08 Jul 14

"....is it just me that thinks it a bad idea...."

Sorry Lotvic but it's just you. It's not a bad idea at all and is one of the standard, safe ways of fixing an overheating laptop. The other option of course is to dismantle the laptop enough to get to the cooling system and remove the debris manually. However, the average laptop user simply doesn't have the confidence, skills, or inclination to undertake such a complicated, fiddly, and potentially risky procedure.

I've used compressed air many times and it does work. Some of the dust gets blown out of the other vents and some debris does get blown further in but it's out of the way and doesn't cause any problems. Only once was the blockage so bad that I had to take the laptop apart.

A vacuum cleaner should never be used to suck out debris from the laptop vents.

Pine Man 18:47 08 Jul 14

'A vacuum cleaner should never be used to suck out debris from the laptop vents.'

Why not?

It will be sucking out the dust the way it went in and with far less force than compressed air blowing it further in!

Secret-Squirrel 19:11 08 Jul 14

"Why not?"

I'm sure you can do your own Googling for the reasons but here are some extracts I just found:

"Vacuum cleaners are not recommended: they're quite ineffective at removing dust and they can also cause a build-up of static electricity which you don't want around a laptop."

*"There are three main risks involved: 1. The airflow may cause the laptop's fan to spin in a way that could damage it. 2. The fast airflow can create a static electric charge, which could potentially damage the laptop if it builds up in a sensitive area. The fan area is not usually particularly sensitive to this, but the suction might draw air through other parts of the laptop. 3. The pressure of the suction could dislodge or damage components inside the laptop."*

Item #3 in the above list is exactly what happened to me a few years back after using a vacuum cleaner near the air-vents. On turning the laptop back on it was incredibly noisy akin to the sound of a chainsaw. I then had to spend ages dissembling it and found a white sticky label had been sucked off something and had attached itself to the fan blades.

So there you have it Pine Man - a few good reasons why it's not a good idea to use a vacuum cleaner to suck dust out through a laptop's vents.

Secret-Squirrel 19:13 08 Jul 14

"Why not?"

I'm sure you can do your own Googling for the reasons but here are some extracts I just found:

"Vacuum cleaners are not recommended: they're quite ineffective at removing dust and they can also cause a build-up of static electricity which you don't want around a laptop."

*"There are three main risks involved: 1. The airflow may cause the laptop's fan to spin in a way that could damage it. 2. The fast airflow can create a static electric charge, which could potentially damage the laptop if it builds up in a sensitive area. The fan area is not usually particularly sensitive to this, but the suction might draw air through other parts of the laptop. 3. The pressure of the suction could dislodge or damage components inside the laptop."*

Item #3 in the above list is exactly what happened to me a few years back after using a vacuum cleaner near the air-vents. On turning the laptop back on it was incredibly noisy akin to the sound of a chainsaw. I then had to spend ages disassembling it and found a white sticky label had been sucked off something and had attached itself to the fan blades.

So there you have it Pine Man - a few good reasons why it's not a good idea to use a vacuum cleaner to suck dust out through a laptop's vents.

Pine Man 08:00 09 Jul 14

Thanks for the info SS.

wee eddie 10:39 09 Jul 14

SS: Have you ever taken an electric motor apart. Your first reason is unlikely.

Your second reason: Is there any difference between the speed of air from a vacuum cleaner and the air from a compressed air cylinder.

For three: read two.

Judicious use of a stiff brush and a vacuum, to clean the area around a fan, can't be more risky than blasting it with air at a muzzle velocity of 200 mph

Secret-Squirrel 15:53 09 Jul 14

"Your first reason is unlikely.....Your second reason:............"

They're not my reasons Eddie. As I said, they're extracts (note the quotation marks) that I copied and pasted from a couple of the many tech-help websites that say the same thing. That advice is good and you ought to heed it.

"Judicious use of a stiff brush and a vacuum, to clean the area around a fan, can't be more risky than blasting it with air at a muzzle velocity of 200 mph"

You're probably right, but all along I've been talking about the risks associated with using a vacuum cleaner to suck dust out through the laptop's vents.

For the average laptop user who will never have the courage to open up their laptop to clean its insides, a few blasts of compressed air is a quick, relatively safe, and effective method.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…