Buying stuff from Amazon to sell on?

keewaa 11:53 24 Feb 06

If I buy some Networking products from Amazon or Dabs and sell the gear on to other people, is the gear still covered under warranty. In other words, doing this in a small scale, it's easier to always have a spare new wireless router & card, then if someone asks I can do it immediately, rather than taking time to help them order it all.

I guess, in effect, I'm a retailer so can retailers buy from other retailers and if anything goes wrong just send it back to the retailer they bought it from ... just want to know if I start doing it on a bigger scale. Or is it hard to get small amounts of supplies directly from manufacturers/distributors of Networking products (Netgear,Belkin etc).

Diodorus Siculus 14:17 24 Feb 06

If you sell it on, I assume that you will then be regarded as the vendor and it will be your responsibility to sort it out.

In practice, I suppose that you can always contact the outlet from which you purchased it and see if hey will accept it back.

There was a thread here recently re. a guy who purchased for a business and Dabs refused to take it back when he decided that he didn't want it. Seems there are different consumer laws.

jakimo 21:02 24 Feb 06

if you want goods to sell-on,then you would do better at ebay

ade.h 22:46 24 Feb 06

I occasionally get stuff for friends, etc. at short notice, but I prefer to use a local supplier who I know personally; I pay cash and pass the invoice/receipt to the person that I've got it for.

A local supplier and cash payment might be your best bet, too.

Stuartli 23:40 24 Feb 06

I often buy goods on behalf of my son online because he is not at h ome during the day to receive deliveries.

If there are any problems - and fortuntely they are rare - I take the responsibility of following up any problems as the purchases have been done in my name.

Stuartli 23:41 24 Feb 06

...and fortunately they are rare- ....

jakimo 17:40 25 Feb 06

Warranties are not transferable,so you will be responsible for after sales service,as you say you will be acting as a retailer,to make a profit,your source of supply are only committed to you and not to your customers

keewaa 19:03 25 Feb 06

So how do small time retailers get supplies from the manufacturers? I presume the likes of PC World have a contract that defective parts are replaced by the manufacturers, but how do small outlets get supplies. The likes of Netgear and Belkin won't be interested but do they sell to intermediate distributors that small retailers can get trade accounts with? Or are they marginalised to get supplies from little known manufacturers. Any web site with info on this are would be welcome if you know of any.

bluto1 22:16 26 Feb 06

Keewaa,
If it`s your intention to run a small business, then apart from the excellent advice you`ve been given here, I`d suggest looking for legal advice too. Remember, if you are running a business you are subject to the requirements of VAT, and believe me, those requirements can be divers. Best of luck in your endeavours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5