Buying a PC

jerichobob 22:16 30 Dec 03

I never thought that buying a PC could be so difficult.

I had a fairly good idea of the spec I was after, and after reading the press and scanning the adverts for a few weeks, a reasonable idea of the price I wanted to pay for it too!

So now I configure it on all of the online suppliers engines to see what they can offer. That includes Dell, Mesh, Carrera, Nethighstreet, etc. I then walk into the Computer Shop after reading one of their press ads and begin to buy one of theirs. Why? Because it looked like a good deal for the spec and I like to see what I'm getting. A touchy feely kind of guy if you like. However, as we sit down to discuss the buy now pay in the future malarkey £10 is suddenly added to the cost for delivery. That is delivery only to my home address by courier. Hmmmm... So I let that one go. Then the chap starts to talk about extended warranties and I say that if the computer goes wrong after the first 12 months then it will get new - read upgraded - parts anyway. He says 'Yes, but you get the disks if you take out the gold cover'. Sorry? £99 to buy. Then he mentions the cost of the phone calls. If you ring the helpline because your new computer has gone skew wiff they will only charge you 50p per minute for the first 30 days, and then only £1 per minute thereafter. Bargain. Sod that. I'm halfway down the highstreet and in PC World before the guy can blink. Problem. They don't have any of the computers I want in stock. Surprise, surprise. So in desperation I try Currys. I know they are the same people - I used to work for them. 'We should be getting some in in three to four weeks. Maybe.'

By this time I'm cheesed off. All I want is a new computer.

Carrera get the order online. Tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Rob.

kench 23:47 31 Dec 03

try tesco or asda.

Rob the best thing i can offer is to go to your local computer shop.

Although more expensive, i would bet my life on that they would be more than willing to help you get the machine you want to the exact specification that you want, with disk's etc for a good price with excellent customer service.

Or if you know a friend/friends with good knowledge that can build you one you can get even better deal.

Building yourslef one is even better....

Beleive me in the space of a year since i first started to build my own, they have got even easier!! even so much so i would be tempted to start a company building my with the experience i got!

jerichobob 11:53 01 Jan 04

The deed is done and Carrera have the order. Configured to the spec I require and over £100 cheaper too! Don't really have the time or inclination to build one, plus I can't be bothered to track down all of the parts - though I know you can get everything you need at Dabs. I did try my local computer shop but had a bad experience with them when they 'serviced' my current machine and made it slower and less reliable. I had to sort it myself after they denied any responsibility.

As I said earlier I'll keep you posted. It's a good chance to find out if Carrera can live up to their reputation with the journos too.

See ya

Rob

simongy 17:35 01 Jan 04

good luck rob, and happy new year.

jerichobob 15:28 09 Jan 04

Ok. Got an e-mail off Carrera.

Thank you for your online order.

Unfortunately through the Christmas period several mistakes were posted on our web site and subsequently several prices were incorrect. These prices have been adjusted back to the correct values and actions have been taken to minimise the chances of this happening again.

Unfortunately the machine you selected was one of these machines and the price selected is incorrect to the published prices. We at this moment have not processed your order, or payment, and would ask if you could revisit the Carrera website and re-enter your order with the correct prices.

We apologise for this inconvenience and we will be including a free upgrade to an original Microsoft Keyboard & Mouse. To receive these free upgrades please reply to this email [email protected] when you have processed your order quoting your new order acknowledgement.

We look forward to serving you in the future.

Best regards

The Carrera SSC Team

Digital Network PLC

The system is now £200 dearer than the original price but still cheaper than the competition so I've re-ordered. Question is this. Could I demand that the original order be fulfilled as I have an order acknowledgement from them?

Thanks

Rob

Forum Editor 15:38 09 Jan 04

of getting the company to honour the original price if you have an email response that mentions the specification and the price. It would have been worth talking to them before you agreed to pay the higher price though, and I don't rate your chances very highly at this stage - particularly as the company hadn't taken any money for the original order. Strictly speaking a contract does not exist between you until they take the money.

Why don't you call them and have a chat about it? Nothing ventured etc...

jerichobob 11:24 16 Jan 04

Ok. I originally placed my order on 30/12/03 for which I received an e-mail on 08/01/04 telling me that I had to pay over £200 more (see above). I dutifully re-ordered at the new price that evening because it still seemed like a good deal and Carrera always seem to do well in product tests. I still haven't heard from Carrera officially although I did telephone them myself to try to find out what was happening. Apparently the e-mail confirmation I should have received has not been sent due to a problem at their end(?) The letter of confirmation should be with me in the 'next few days'.

You've got until Monday morning Carrera - if you are reading this - and if I haven't received anything by then I'll cancel the order.

Now I'm not having a go just for the sake of it, but if a company makes a mistake in pricing, and the customer agrees to pay the extra, then surely the company should take care to look after that customers order to ensure it goes through smoothly therafter. Or am I kidding myself?

Monday morning Carrera.

rickf 11:44 16 Jan 04

I think you would be better off building your own. Its not that difficult with a little help from the forum.

jerichobob 16:57 16 Jan 04

I'm beginning to think you're right.

WELL WHAT CAN I SAY THAT HASN,T ALREADY BEEN SAID.AH THATS IT "COMPUTER INDUSTRY ,SORT YOUR LIFE OUT". HAVE THE LOWER COSTS OF MACHINES AND PRICE WARS "SO CALLED" LED TO NO MONEY FOR STAFF. DO PEANUTS ATTRACT MONKEYS, SADLY IT SEEMS SO.I BOUGHT A MESH MACHINE 5 YEARS AGO,IT WAS A 600MHZ CUTTING EDGE MACHINE. BACK THEN I SHELLED OUT £1600 FOR IT. BIG MONEY , BUT MESH WERE SLICK,SWITCHED ON AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION WAS PARAMOUNT. THE ORDER WAS BUY PHONE, CLEAR AND CONSCISE,POLITE AND FRIENDLY. DELIVERY DATES WERE ADHERED TO .THE PROPOSED DATE OF DELIVERY ARRIVED I SAT AND WAITED, UP AT 6 AM LIKE A KID AT CHRISTMAS . LIKE A KID I COULD NOT SETTLE FACE AGAINST THE GLASS LOOKING, WISHING. I DIDNT HAVE TO WAIT LONG, AT 8 AM WHILST STILL IN THE BATH THERE WAS A KNOCK AT THE DOOR AND THERE SHE WAS SHINY IN HER 2 BOXES. I PUT IT TOGETHER ALL COMPONENTS THERE AS ORDERED , IT ALL WORKED PERFECTLY AND HAS CONTINUED TO DO SO EVER SINCE. SO WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE I BOUGHT FROM IN THOSE HAPPY DAYS GONE, BECAUSE TODAY READING MAGS AND INTERNET FORUMS SHOW ME THEY ARE NO LONGER THERE. BUT ALAS BILLY SMARTS CIRCUS ARE A FEW CLOWNS SHORT AND BUYING A HOUSE MUST BE DIFFICULT BECAUSE ALL THOSE SHARP DRESSED AGENTS WITH THERE SMART DESCRIPTIONS FOR SOMETHING DECISEIVELY AVERAGE NOW PROMISE EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE, TROUBLE FREE BUYING, WITH EXCELLENT VALUE. THEY FORGOT TO MENTION THE EXCELLENT RAIL LINKS AND LOCAL ACHEIVING SCHOOLS,I WISH THE INDUSTRY WOULD UP THEIR PACE AND GET BACK TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS, EVERYONE WOULD BE GRATEFUL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…