Buying Norton IS 2007 - Am I breaking the law?

Red Devil 10:20 21 Sep 06

Hi all,

OK, it's that time of year for me - my copy of Norton Internet Security is coming ti the end of it's subscription period.

So I did what I always do - I clicked on the link within NIS to renew my subscription. The prices listed were £35 for a renewal of my subscription or £49.99 to purchase NIS 2007.

I then did another thing I always do after that - headed over to Symantec's US site and checked the price there. The price listed for NIS 2007 is $69.99 which converts to £37.18 - a nice little saving of £12.81 over the UK price listed by Symantec and only £2.18 more than a plain vanilla, simple renewal of my subscription would be.

I was just about to click on the purchase button like I always do - or have done for the last few years anyway - when I stopped and thought - am I breaking the law by going outside of the UK to purchase NIS 2007 in this way? After all, wouldn't I be avoiding import duty - is it applicable at this price - and VAT by buying from the US instead of the UK?

gudgulf 11:17 21 Sep 06

Many companies direct you to the site foe your country of origin......ie if you are in the UK you will get to a UK site and have to pay UK proces.

However..there is no reason why you shouldn't shop around..if Symantec will let you purchase from the USA the that's fine.....be aware you will find yourself paying duty on the purchase so the saving wont ne as great as it seems.

In any case it is usually cheaper to go to your local PC World as they often discount NIS to £24.99 or thereabouts.click here

It looks like they are still on NIS2006 though.

Stuartli 12:00 21 Sep 06

Many US websites will not allow purchases to be made from outside the country - more due to government legislation than anything IIRC, which is one reason why Belarc Advisor now has to detail missing Microsoft security updates.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:25 21 Sep 06

Why not save the hassle and just use AVG and Zone akarms.....both free

terryf 14:04 21 Sep 06

I agree with GANDALF <|:-)> If you wish to clean up Norton
click here

Jackcoms 15:25 21 Sep 06

The only 'law' you're breaking is the one about throwing away good money when there are plenty of perfectly good AV and anti-malware programs available for nothing - all of which are regularly recommended in these Forums.

BRYNIT 16:40 21 Sep 06

If you still want to use Norton why not stick with the 2006 version. you can get it for £24.99 from PC world click here

pj123 17:21 21 Sep 06

As far as I am aware a lot of members of this Forum (including me) have taken off anything Norton and now use the perfectly adequate (for Home users) free software.

Norton is very resourse hungry and slows down computers to a crawl.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:12 21 Sep 06

and you will be presented with-

"Error:

We're Sorry.

The products you have selected are not available in your area.

Please contact a local distributor to obtain your product.

Error Number: 30053013 - 0"

Giggle n' Bits 19:17 21 Sep 06

shelf in the uk, just that the us has got them before us like other things. No problem buying from us or Japan its all legit.

PC World or Tesco are flogging 2006 release cheap to make way for the 07 as they will be offering the 07 at xmas on a special offer pre-launch.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:20 21 Sep 06

Just a week or so ago I had to reinstall Windows after getting an "invalid partition table" error after trying out partition management software to create a second partition on my system drives. Having reinstalled NIS and Systemworks 2005 a number of times whilst trying out other, free, software, I had to reactivate by phone and speak to a real person at Symantec. After doing this I found I had a full years worth of subscription from the day of activation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…