Buying new PC/Laptop - £1000 budget

retro_hood 20:22 30 Jul 10

Hello everyone.

it's time I invested in some new hardware.

I'm a computing student about to go into my final year so I intend to use this laptop/Desktop PC for development. For example, Visual Studio,Eclipse etc.

I also like to play the occasional game, not too fussed about playing the latest game at highest possible specs.

I don't save much stuff, my current laptop hasn't been full and it is at a 120Gb capacity.

What I am asking is if anyone has any recommendations of what machine to buy, or where to buy it, or both!

I'd prefer a laptop but can be swayed towards a desktop if price is right (including monitor)

john bunyan 20:32 30 Jul 10

Worth a look - I recently bought this for about £600:

click here

john bunyan 20:34 30 Jul 10

PS bought from John Lewis - 2 year warranty

rdave13 21:11 30 Jul 10

Looking at the Toshiba site and your budget I'd consider the Satellite P500-1CG.

click here

Covergirl 23:00 30 Jul 10

. . . and specced out a killer PC. Found I didn't use 1/3rd of it so next one I bought was £400 off the shelf at Comet. Never looked back.

Get a laptop. Take care of the power leads and USB ports

retro_hood 23:15 30 Jul 10

I am not that Young, 21 and I will be needed a specced out pc since I will be doing heavy development and multi-tasking. It will be used.

The Kestrel 12:16 31 Jul 10

If you know what specs you would like on your new PC, why not try configuring it yourself from click here. Quite a number of forum members, including myself, have bought PCs from Cougar and would recommend them.

07patty 17:10 05 Aug 10

would recommend Cyberpower - have given me great support and their prices are cheap. going to buy from them later this year, their forum is useful as well :)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…