Buying a new PC - not a pleasure

Barrance 13:08 28 Feb 05

Earlier this year I decided it was time to go for an upgrade.
After much studying of recent PC Advisors I drafted out a specification, and emailed it to the top ten power makers as listed there.
Only two replied and one of these was only to say they were too busy to do custom making at present! The other - Mesh, bless then, submitted a bone fide quote.
One is hardly enough so I contacted an old friend in the Sales Department of Aria Technologies. No trouble - after some minor adjustments this was a better quote, so I paid up and waited.
When it came it was minus some rather important bits and had no WOfficial indows sticker on it. Only after some irate phone calls did they reluctantly release the key number to me so I could at least start to use the thing. After some three weeks despite repeated telephone calls and emails and lots of apologies still no missing stuff has arrived.
What is it about these people they take your money and then muck you about. All the apologies in the world, without actually putting things right, do not prevent the souring of what should be an enjoyable activity.

onokeck 14:13 28 Feb 05

Please read my thread, (Jal Computer)submitted on 27 Feb. You have pretty much proved my point by going to the "big names" instead of putting trust in the smaller guys. I have owned IBM, Packard Bell, Hewlett Packard, Dell and Evesham. None of them have given me the trouble free service and pleasure that I have experienced since purchasing my latest system from Jal. Read my referenced previous threads and you will see that you can more or less build your own system with them.
Casey

spuds 17:29 28 Feb 05

Whoever you choose nowadays, its a case of buyer beware. Whether it is the small, medium or big supplier, there will always be a case of total satisfaction or total rejection of the product that you or someone else may purchase.I am now on my third computer, and all of them have had some problem or another, some major and some minor. The first computer was from a well known nationwide superstore which went into administration, causing mayhem for many hundreds of customers. The second computer was from the local guy who also went into administration. The third computer is a ragtale of bits and bobs and seems to be working reasonably well.

citadel 18:20 28 Feb 05

I get my computers from a local dealer who make them to my specs. If anything goes wrong it's easy to take it back and slap it on the counter.

Forum Editor 20:00 28 Feb 05

that:-

1. Most computer makers use components from the same sources - they don't manufacture the components.

2. The vast majority of computers purchased from major suppliers work perfectly on arrival, and continue to do so.

3. When components fail you are covered, not only by the sale of goods act, the distance selling regulations, and/or the sale of goods and services to consumers regulations, but by the manufacturer's warranty.

4. Many of the problems reported to companies' customer service departments are caused by computer users experimenting with dodgy software, altering vital Windows settings without knowing what they're doing, and/or adding hardware devices incorrectly.

By far the majority of the problems we see here relate to failures in after-sales service. It's that vital point of contact with the computer supplier that often results in lost tempers and sheer frustration. Over the years we have seen pretty well every major manufacturer come in for its fair share of criticism. I like to think that we have helped some of these companies to understand the importance of customer communication - most people will be reasonable if a supplier is 'up-front' about delays or difficulties with supply - it's when promises are made and repeatedly broken that goodwill goes out of the window.

I believe that consumers and suppliers need to work together on this if there's ever to be a proper solution. On the one hand consumers must appreciate that demanding ever cheaper machines is going to result in a diminution of service quality - there just won't be enough margin for the supplier to fund a comprehensive customer service operation - and on the other hand vendors must appreciate the customer's need for a dialogue, and for a timely response to genuine requests for attention to genuine problems. We're all in this together, and if we all make an effort to see the need for a two-way street when it comes to understanding problems we'll see a dramatic improvement.

The old adage "The customer is always right" is just that - an old adage, it isn't true today, any more than the feeling that all big companies are out to rip the consumer off is true. A sense of fair play, and a bit of goodwill on both sides is essential if we are ever to see the light at the end of this particular tunnel.

oresome 20:16 28 Feb 05

I think it's unreasonable to expect volume manufacturers to respond to a request for one PC to an individual specification, so I'm not suprised at the reponse you got.

You wouldn't go to M&S with a spec. for a suit. You'd choose from what they had available, or go to a bespoke tailor.

I understand your frustration at the poor quality control though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…