Buying a new PC - Do I need a Floppy Drive?

Richard Ing 13:24 15 Mar 05

I'm in the process of buying a new PC, but I'm not sure if I need a floppy drive. All my software is on CD or DVD, but I concerned there may be a use I'm missing.

puma22 13:29 15 Mar 05

Do you use a floppy at all?
I have just bought a PC and wondered the same as you. Having thought about whn I last used a floppy (couldnt remeber it was so long ago) I decided against it and have not missed having one.
I use a USB pend drive. They are very cheap and can carry lots of data. They also seem to be regognised by all PCs.
hope this helps

Jackcoms 13:30 15 Mar 05

Whilst the use of floppies may not now be as widespread and whilst their capacity is tiny when compared to CD-RWs or even ZIP drives, most PCs still have a floppy drive but not all have a CD or even a ZIP drive.

You may, in the future, need to transfer a small file from your PC to another PC or vice versa.

Buy a floppy drive.

Stuartli 13:36 15 Mar 05

A new floppy drive from a top brand such as Sony is priced at under £5 and would take five minutes or so to fit if you ever needed to use one.

€dstowe 15:31 15 Mar 05

One out of my seventeen PCs has a floppy drive.

24bitkid 17:15 15 Mar 05

Yes you need a floppy drive. Why? Because if you don't have it, you'll suddenly find you need it.

It's called Sod's Law!

Colinp 17:25 15 Mar 05

Yes. I have just ordered a new computer from Mesh (gulp. Yes I know) and I have asked for a floppy drive to be installed in case I need it. Cost? £10

gobi 18:17 15 Mar 05

No. If you can't see the use of it now, then don't bother. You could always put one later if need be, but I doubt it. More and more PC have CD drive now, and connected to the net.

Jackcoms 18:51 15 Mar 05

Confused??

I bet you are now.

jimmybond 18:51 15 Mar 05

...and three of my fourteen ferraris have walnut gearsticks. :-)

petermontague 19:34 15 Mar 05

Depending on the spec of your machine it might be worth considering that raid drivers come on a floppy. So if you have raid or intend to get it you would need to hook up a temporary floppy drive to install the drivers. As someone already said you can get a Sony for a fiver so why not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…