Buying a laptop in the US

Scarlet 09:22 23 Oct 05

I am considering buying a laptop when I am in Florida in January.If anyone has experience of doing similar or has any advics to offer please do so.

PaulB2005 09:51 23 Oct 05

You'll have to pay duty and taxes on it when you bring it back in the country so it might not be cheaper.

What will you do if it breaks down? The warranty might only cover shiping or pick up from the country you bought it from. The power supply will be for the US 110 Volt system instead of the 240 v Uk system so you'll need a convertor.

bremner 09:53 23 Oct 05

I was out there recently and have to say that there was no great savings to be made and they would easily be wiped out if you bring it back to the UK and are subject to vat and duty.

bremner 09:54 23 Oct 05

There is no issue with the power supply other than it will have a US plug on the end - the transformers are universal

PaulB2005 09:56 23 Oct 05

So you just need a UK lead up to the block in the middle of the laptop power lead?

bremner 09:59 23 Oct 05

Yes thats right

bremner 10:00 23 Oct 05

It works both ways - my UK laptop worked perfectly well connected to the US sockets

DieSse 11:07 23 Oct 05

Most power supplies are universal voltage - some may not be - so check before you buy!

Totally-braindead 11:40 23 Oct 05

It is worth checking but I agree most power supplies for laptops are 110-240v at least every one I've seen in this country, the US may be different though it would make sense for them to be the same. I think it highly unlikely that you will get a warranty that you can use back in the UK so be warned about that. There was a thread earlier in the year from someone who was trying to do the same and he found that he could find no manufacturer that would supply a warranty for both the UK and the US. He tried Toshiba, Sony, Dell and various others but no one would take him on at all. I must admit I was very surprised at this, I was sure that since they provide PCs in many countries there would be no problem getting a warranty from someone but as far as I know he had no success.

I just mention this in case something goes wrong, chances are if you buy a decent make you will have no problem but there is always the chance that something will go wrong and therefore I thought it would be worth mentioning.

Stuartli 17:06 23 Oct 05

Might be worth checking on the prices at the Duty Free and how they compare to the States before you go and then work out if it's worth buying one there, rather than in the US plus the duty etc on your return.

Toshiba offers an international warranty but one US stockist of laptops which could be looked up is:

click here

An indication of manufacturers' warranties can be found at:

click here

Taff36 00:01 24 Oct 05

I bought an Asus laptop in the UK on behalf of a friend - It came with a 2 year global warranty.Another friend of mine works in the states for 3 month stints. He bought a Toshiba out there, power supply is 110-240, as stated above most are, and didn`t bring it home in the box. Mind you he works for an American Company and spends a total of 6 months over there anyway, Similarly I have travelled outside the EU with my laptop and never been asked where and when I bought it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…