Buying gaming computer £500-600

Gav R 12:35 17 Feb 09

Having recently purchased World of Warcraft Battle chest, I am now trying to buy a desktop pc capable of running WOW at a reasonable framerate.

I came very close to buying this system, which was initially advertised at £500 inc VAT:

Mesh Elite 4850 Power
Intel Core 2 E7300 2.67Ghz
4GB RAM
Hanns G HG191A 19" monitor
ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB GPU
500GB HDD
Logitech 2.1 speakers
Vista Premium 64-bit

As it turns out the actual price for this (now apparently withdrawn) system was £549, with £23 shipping and (I'm quite impatient) another £25ish for a fast build. However it seems that this system has been withdrawn, and I am a little wary about this manufacturer after some of the forum posts I have come across.

So I'm trying to find a similar system for around £600, I need monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers etc within that price (or as close as possible), suitable for playing WOW on, including the Wrath of the Lich King upgrade which I believe has slightly higher requirements.

I have looked at a lot of systems recommended over various threads, but it would be really great if someone could help to steer me through the maze of Geforce/ATI graphics cards, barebones builds and fantastic looking custom build systems which just come within my budget, but don't include monitor / OS and so on.

Thanks!

citadel 17:22 17 Feb 09

something similar as long as it has the 4850 graphics card, this can play all modern games with decent fps.

Gav R 14:47 18 Feb 09

Well thats basically what I'm after, I was hoping for some more specific suggestions...

Gav R 17:23 18 Feb 09

I suppose another way of putting this is, can anyone recommend a system which can match the Mesh one above for around the same price. If its going to be well over £600 to buy a system with the 4850 graphics card, can anyone suggest a different system with a cheaper graphics card that will still be able to run WOW?

Thanks in advance !

citadel 21:21 18 Feb 09

have a look at cyberpower, they may have something to suit.

mrwoowoo 20:01 19 Feb 09

These two seem to fit the bill.
click here

Gav R 12:50 24 Feb 09

Thanks citadel and mrwoowoo. I have checked out both suggestions, and quite like the look of the Ricochet PC, which when I add a 19" monitor and 2.1 speakers from Ebuyer comes out at about £695.

For this kind of money, would I be better off spending another £50 and getting the Chillblast Fusion Anubis (as recommended by PC Advisor?)

3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E8600; Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (choose XP or Vista 64bit with no extra cost); 4GB DDR2 RAM; 500GB SATA; MSI P43 Neo3-F; 6 x USB 2.0; 22in Digimate L-2248WD (0.29mm pixel pitch; 1,680x1,050); 512MB PCI Express Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 (games scores: Crysis High = 55fps, Very High = 20fps; Fear = 174fps); Creative Audigy SE 7.1; 2 x Logitech S220; subwoofer; 22x/22x/12x/16x/6x/8x/12x/16x (DVD-R/+R/-R DL/+R DL/-RW/+RW/-RAM/-ROM); OpenOffice; AVG Free; Nero; two-year collect-and-return warranty; WorldBench 6 score: 131

Well it seems like a no brainer to me, and even though this is a lot more than I was originally hoping to spend it seems to buy me a lot more computer, plus if I decide to start playing something more intensive like Crysis I would like to think that the PC I buy will be reasonably up to the job, even on low settings.

Anyone recommend the Chillblast, or would I be better going with Cyberpower or Novatech?

citadel 14:14 24 Feb 09

chillblast and cyberpower regulary have systems reviewed in custom pc mag and get good results.

Gav R 17:00 05 Mar 09

After a lot of deliberation I decided that the Chillblast system at £750 really is overkill for the kind of games I intend to play (mainly WoW), so I was a bit stuck really - and then I saw the Medion Akoya E3300 mentioned a few times on these forums.

At £389 this seemed an amazing bargain, add say £100 for 19" monitor and 2.1 speakers, and there I had my complete system for less than £500. Only problem was it seems that the E3300 has been out of stock more or less since the day of release, over a month ago. So I'm back to square one.

I'm completely stumped now, so please if anyone can suggest a system which will come to around £500 with a monitor and can hold its own against the Medion system, be able to run WoW at a reasonable level, please could they let me know, as I am now pretty desperate!!

Thank you in advance for putting me out of my misery.

Gav R 16:11 07 Mar 09

Having had a further opportunity to look around (PC World, googling gaming computers etc) I did another check on PC Advisor and found the Eclipse Solar. This looks like it could be the answer to all my problems.

Please can anyone let me know if this system is any good, obviously its been rated 1 for this month, and the specs look decent, but I'd feel happier if someone could confirm that this is a decent system for WoW - for the money.

By the way I was going to post a hyperlink to the review of this system on PC Advisor but have no idea how to do it...

Gav R 15:55 08 Mar 09

OK I think I finally have made a choice - basically the Eclipse system with the addition of the ATI 4850 graphics card:

Motherboard - MSI P31 Neo-F LGA775, DDR2, SATA2, ATX £1.64
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz LGA775 Processor - Retail £145.95
Memory Slot 1 - 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dual Channel DDR2 800Mhz Memory £29.95
Memory Slot 2 - None
Graphics Card(s)- Sapphire 512Mb Radeon HD 4850 PCI-Express VGA Card £103.75
Optical Device 1- Samsung SH-S223F 22x DVD+/-R SATA DVD Writer - Black £14.50
Optical Device 2- None
SATA Device 1 - 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200rpm S-ATAII 300 Hard Drive £42.18
Floppy Bay 1 - None
Floppy Bay 2 - None
TV Tuner - None
Case - N-880D Black ATX Case With 450W PSU £10.95
Monitor - 19 Inch WideScreen TFT Monitor £68.95
Speakers - Creative Labs SBS380 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer £15.95
Desk Managers - MicroSoft Keyboard with Optical Mouse (Black) -oem- £8.95
Operating System- MicroSoft Windows Vista - Home Premium Edition - oem £79.95

I'm pretty happy about this setup, although I'm not 100% sure I need the 4850 card over the default card this comes with, the 1Gb ATi Radeon HD 4650 PCI-Express VGA Card. Baiscally its costing an extra £65 to upgrade from 4650 to 4850.

I'd be really grateful if someone could cast an eye over this lot, and let me know:

1. Do I need the 4850 ( I have the feeling it will be worth it in the long run)
2. Will this system "work", or do I need to change the cooling/case/psu in order to make this a viable system.

I'm hopefully going to go ahead and buy this on Monday, so I would really appreciate a response.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…