Buying firewire card - ??

spider9 08:20 10 Jan 05

Wanting to buy a firewire card for my computer, OS, XPhome, for mainly camcorder use.
Have found vast differences in price, and as I am not very confident with technical stuff, would appreciate some help.
At present I have seen firewire cards ranging from £6.99 at planetmicro to £40+ elsewhere. Is there any great difference, or is a firewire card going to do the same job, anyway? I am not a 'pro' (you no doubt spotted this already!!), so outstanding performance is not my highest priority - but am I missing something in these pretty dramatic price differences?
Any opinions appreciated.

€dstowe 09:52 10 Jan 05

With some of them you are paying for the name. Belkin comes to mind.

You may find that after paying through the nose for a named card (or other product) you can find almost identical ones much cheaper, the difference being that the cheaper one doesn't have the prestige of the resellers name emblazoned (in gold?) on it and it might not come in a fancy, bespoke vacuum moulded packing.

It happened to me a few years ago that I paid £35 or so for a named PCI card when Scan were selling the same model, but unbranded, for £11.

€dstowe 10:50 10 Jan 05

I'll repeat my answer to you in Consumer Watch:

With some of them you are paying for the name. Belkin comes to mind.

You may find that after paying through the nose for a named card (or other product) you can find almost identical ones much cheaper, the difference being that the cheaper one doesn't have the prestige of the resellers name emblazoned (in gold?) on it and it might not come in a fancy, bespoke vacuum moulded packing.

It happened to me a few years ago that I paid £35 or so for a named PCI card when Scan were selling the same model, but unbranded, for £11.

€dstowe 10:52 10 Jan 05

Sorry, old age is playing its role today. Shouldn't have posted my second reply here - it shoiuld be in the similar post in Helproom.

Perhaps FE would be kind enough to delete this and the post above if he has time.

spider9 12:17 10 Jan 05

Not to worry, €dstowe, message received on both - my error to post on wrong forum firstly - like you I put it down to age (one of the great conveniences for the elderly, blame everything on age!!).
Cheers and thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…