Buying Epson CX6600...Read this first!!!

Faser 11:53 26 Sep 05

When my much loved Canon printer failed I decided not to replace the print-head and to go for an All-In-One.

After reading the revue in Pcadvisor I settled on the Epson CX6600 at a bargain price from Ebuyer.

When it arrived I was impressed with the build quality and the ease and stability of the included software. It also proved to be very easy to use as a copier producing fast and accurate copies of any document.

However I soon discovered why shops have cut the price of this unit. You cannot use ordinary gloss photo paper; the recommended Durabrite paper is not available locally and even Epson only can supply A4 size on their website.

Worse still the photo prints are very average, print VERY slowly and take ages to dry! This means you have to carefully remove each print or it smears if left on the tray. Downloading the latest drivers made no difference.

A mate of mine bought a cheap Lexmark All-In-One a while ago, against my advice. Boy do I look stupid! It performs just as well as the Epson on any gloss paper and his prints dry in seconds!

jack 12:02 26 Sep 05

What cartridges does the cx6600 use? are they common to other Epsons?
I am ask bacause, paper type is not so critical a to preclude the use of third part makes, no matter whathe printer manufacurers says. You could try for example Ilford Galeria - from click here
I wonder also if you have manipulated the paper choice correctly - you could try for exampe on Gloss paper[ any make] printing on the 'Transparancy setting' This uses less ink and gives generally brighter image.
The thing to do is to Experiment

pj123 13:37 26 Sep 05

Before you condemn Epson have you tried Choice Stationery? They guarantee their products and I certainly have not had any problems. I have used their ink and Instant Dry Gloss paper in quite a few different Epson printers, including a Durabrite printer with no problems.

click here

pj123 15:41 26 Sep 05

Don't be that envious of your mate. He is paying more money for his replacement ink than what he paid for the printer. It would be cheaper for him to buy a new printer every time his ink ran out.

Faser 02:02 27 Sep 05

Thanks for the comments and advice. When I tried Canon gloss photo paper you could see the layers of ink on some of the denser areas of the print.

The problem does seem to be with the type of ink used, apparently once dry it is much more water resistant than the normal ink-jet. Quote "Epson DURABrite™ inks for smudge proof, water and fade resistant prints".

I did a quick check, it would seem Epson have moved away from this type of cartridge as Durabrite does not feature in any of their latest products.

spuds 09:53 27 Sep 05

In the Epson C86 that I use, I have stopped using the DURAbrite ink cartridges in favour of Datasafe compatibles. Just as good results at a far cheaper replacement price.

Totally-braindead 18:06 27 Sep 05

Depending on the make/model of the printer the pictures you print out will appear very different on different papers. As an example a friend had Kodak photo paper and was pleased with the results using his Lexmark printer but when he got a new different make printer the pictures were awful with the same paper, all streaky with bits missed out. He tried some of my paper, cheaper stuff from Choice Stationery, and he thought the results were far superior to his other printer with the more expensive Kodak paper. So what I would say to you is the same as the others have said, try other paper. If you're unsure what to get, and lets face it its a minefield out there, with so many makes/types of paper it would confuse anyone, try this click here its Choices sample pack and its only £4.49 including postage, that may help you decide if the papers give good results with your printer.

Sans le Sou 20:03 27 Sep 05

These folks do a range of paper that may be of service, sell durabrite ink also click here

price is what you pay includes VAT & delivery

Sans le Sou 20:08 27 Sep 05

Compatibles for your printer alsoclick here

pip22 20:26 27 Sep 05

Just read a PC mag today (PC Pro, I think). They tested Epson, Canon, and HP photo-papers against the equivalent third-party offerings (using an Epson, Canon, and HP printer), then asked a panel of 20 people to pass judgement on the quality of finish of every printout. The conclusion was that the Epson Premium Glossy and Canon PP-101 Glossy were neck-and-neck streets ahead of the third-party stuff, with Kodak paper being judged as the worst. This tallies with my own findings, and believe me I've tried about 15 different brands in my Epson 870 printer. Epson and Canon papers I now use for all my photo-work.
I have to say (to the original poster 'Faser') I'm surprised you settling for an all-in-one if you are quality-conscious as regards photo printing. An all-in-one is still a compromise on all fronts, for while they are improving all the time, so are single-task photo printers.

jack 09:59 28 Sep 05

I guess sticking what you know can have it dis advantages because one is not aware of improvements
in previouly disregarded brands.
So did you comparison include for example the Ilford Galeria brand?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…