Buying a car on the Internet

xania 11:04 26 May 08

Does anyone have any experience of buying a car using this website click here

Good or bad?

I do know that they've been around for some time, although I only stumbled across them by chance and it seems almost "too good to be true"

Forum Editor 11:42 26 May 08

but have no personal experience of it. I've just spent five minutes looking through the site, and as far as I can tell it seems like a perfectly respectable operation - you want a car, and dealers want to sell cars; the site finds buyers and sellers bid for the business. It sounds like a great idea to me, and I noted that you don't pay for the vehicle until you've had a chance to inspect it.

Chris the Ancient 11:43 26 May 08

An interesting looking site! But I didn't go into too much depth.

There are sites out there that can do deals for you. But have you tried doing your own? Take a print out of the details on the car that you want, take it to a local dealer and see if they can better it.

Car dealers rarely charge full list price if you are willing to haggle. And with a bit of hard bargaining, you can get extras thrown in as well (like mats and flaps) which would cost you list price; but cost them little.

And that's what those 'negotiators' do.

Forum Editor 12:21 26 May 08

It seems to me that the advantage of the site in question is that it enables multiple dealership bidding. You can sit at home and watch dealers from all over the country bid for your order - something that wouldn't be a practical proposition under normal circumstances.

I can see why this company won its DTI national E-business award.

Chris the Ancient 15:13 26 May 08

Mmmm. in my 'less than in-depth' look, I didn't spot that!

Makes it look a good idea.

The funny (?) thing is, I have often recommended that if anyone is scared of buying a new car and would find bargaining distasteful, that a professional negotiator could be useful.

As I hope, within the next 2-3 years, to have enough to buy a new car, I shall bookmark this website.

CtA

Totally-braindead 15:40 26 May 08

A friend of mine has bought a motorbike and a car via Ebay, no money changed hands until it was inspected so in that respect buying off the internet is the same as physically going to other places to see what they have. Except easier.

Don't know this particular site but if you inspect the car before parting with any cash then I see nothing wrong with it. And with a bit of luck you'll save yourself a bit of money.

roy 19:08 26 May 08

Haven't used this but Lloyds Bank is involved in it.
click here

Rumple 19:51 26 May 08

I've not used the company above, but have purchased a car through an online broker.

I used Freeway cars which are operated and run by HBOS who also own Leaseplan (click here) and they were brilliant IMHO. They not only matched the Whatcar target price but also beat it as well as my local BMW dealer.

Most of these companies as above buy in bulk from preferred dealers and pass these discounts to you, so you do not lose anything to be honest. Mine came from BMW Chiswick in London and the car was delivered to my door.

Depending on what car your after, and how you are planning to finance it e.g. PCP, Cash, or bank loan, I would also recommend getting car quotes from Motorlogix.com, and drivethedeal.com

Hope this helps.

xania 08:38 27 May 08

Thanks for all your advice - I'll certainly also be looking at these alternatives. I'm looking at the Nissan Note 1.4 with Part Exchange paying cash.

TopCat® 18:04 02 Jul 08

interest you before buying anything; just to make sure you're happy with them. Then there is the 'small print' to check, re warranties, road tax included in deal, and such things. Cover all avenues before parting with your hard earned cash!

Good luck with your eventual choice. TC.

gardener 14:34 03 Jul 08

Bought an Astra 2 years ago from this firm:

click here

No problems and very helpful staff. Astra delivered to our door and old car (part-exchanged) driven away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now